In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best M1A Scope Mount

BipedBiped Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at Smith Enterptise mount which our government bought for M14's used in the SDM program. Apparently you can use iron sights too and the scope is mounted higher than with the other mount, a 4th generation from Springfield Armory. Which is best?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Sadlak Airborne (custom spec for the Airborne) over the Smith but Smith makes great products. This is if you want to be able to see your open sights.

If you want a quality low mount that will even up covering the sights ARMS 18 is the way to go.

Springfield mounts suck. The only thing that sucks more are the very cheep SA knockoff mounts.

Here I will add a couple pics for you,

DSC04783.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

While the Sadlak mount is everything one could hope for on this gun I wish I had gone with the ARMS 18. You can see how high the scope sets, and the Smith mount is the same. For this set up I am not using the iron sights so I would have liked my scope to be a bit lower.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience is the same as the above, especially regarding the Springfield mount.

I have the Sadlak on a Loaded, it sits a bit high for me but is solid. I have an ARMS 18 on a Scout and it sits very low, I have a fairly compact 1 to 4X scope mounted. The ARMS 18 looks like it's part of the gun, very nice match.

Most good mounts use three points to anchor the mount to the gun, a mount made by Bassett uses one point and folks seem to like it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm still trying to figure it out. You guys have been a big help. I also own a Scout. I use the forward mount with a Leupold 2.5x. I don't think I would change that. I like the ARMS 18 for the M1A "loaded" but will miss not having iron sights. I'll take a look at the Bassett before I buy anything. Thanks a bunch, both you guys. If nothing else, I know what not to buy.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Biped
    I'm still trying to figure it out. You guys have been a big help. I also own a Scout. I use the forward mount with a Leupold 2.5x. I don't think I would change that. I like the ARMS 18 for the M1A "loaded" but will miss not having iron sights. I'll take a look at the Bassett before I buy anything. Thanks a bunch, both you guys. If nothing else, I know what not to buy.

Another option are the full rails out there, works well with the forward optic and will run from the gas system all the way back to the charging clip bridge - replaces the forend. Again, some cheap and some very good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've seen the full rail but it's probably more flexibility than I want. The pictures were a big help. I guess that a Sadlak with low mount rings would work. I'd probably get the adjustable nylon cheek piece and I could slide it out of the way to get down on the stock for the iron sights. The other option is the ARMS 18 with quick release rings if I wanted to use iron sights. I've got Leupold quick release rings on my Scout and the reinstalled scope does not come back "exactly" to the previous zero. I have not looked at the Bassett mount yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought the Bassett Low Mount w/picantilley rail and Burris Low mount Xtreme Tactical Rings. ARMS 18 was in contention but frustration level was running high and I flipped a coin. I've read that medium rings may work best with the Bassett but I'm going low-low. My Leupold 1-4x doesn't need allowance for a larger bell. Unfortunately, iron sights will require disconnecting mount/scope. The good news, I don't need to remove the charger guide to install the Bassett mount. If I can't get a cheek weld with this set up I will order a nylon adjustable cheek piece. Wheeeeeew. Thanks everybody. I'll post my results....good or bad.
  • Options
    H2O MANH2O MAN Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Biped
    I'm looking at Smith Enterptise mount which our government bought for M14's used in the SDM program.

The SEI mount is rock solid and battle proven. It can be used with a USGI stock or a SAGE EBR. When it comes to traditional over the receiver M14 scope mounts, I prefer Smith Enterprise, Inc. The rings pictured are LOW.

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4150-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like your set up a lot. I do one competition a year called the "Run & Gun" in sunny Pecos, Texas (gateway to Hell). I have a Squad Scout with forward mounted Leupold fixed 2.5x that I used for the event this past year and I thought it worked well. It takes a licking & keeps on ticking. Timed shots out to a max of 350 yds and then haul-* to the next station. I think 6 or 7 stations with a couple including pistol. Anyway, the situation dictates the tool. The reason I'm scoping a M1A Standard for a US battle rifle program my company sponsors where soldiers rotating to or returning from Iraq/Afghanistan visit our Ranch and I take them to the range. Your rifle w/b ideal for that...as well as much more. We purchased a "Loaded" M1A and I'm getting optics and set up for bench FAM firing out to 500 yds. That's the Basset w/low rings & Leupold 1-4x.