In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1899 Krag Crabine question

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
Any opinions on the correctness of the rear sight, including markings, on this gun is appreciated.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232454849

I am selling it and believe it is correct but an hour ago received an email indicating it was incorrectly marked but no specification on how it was wrong. Obviously it is either correct or incorrect and I'd like to correct my auction if it is incorrect but need some supporting evidence one way or another.

The specific concern I received via email was that this sight appears to be a later one that someone stamped a 'c' into and that it in fact should not be stamped at all on the top.

Spider: Thanks for the info, do you have any opinion on the 'c' that is stamped on the top of the sight? I have a potential bidder who is concerned about that specifically. I want to represent the rifle as accurately as possible, a knowledgeable local guy told me that according to Brophy's book there were three correct sights for the carbine and the one I have was correct for both late carbines and national guard issued carbines, I don't have Brophy's book so I am just trusting what he said but have no reason to doubt it either.

Of course considering the sight is easily removed I don't suspect it affects the value of the gun much but if it is incorrect I'd rather have it listed that way.

Thanks in advance (AS ALWAYS).

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It appears to have a Model 1902 rear sight (far right in picture) as opposed to a Model 1898 sight (3rd from left). As it was manufactured late in production in 1901, it could easily have been fitted with the newer model sight.

Krag%20Sights.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I stated previously, yours is a correct Model 1902 rear sight. I just found an article in American Rifleman confirming that fact (see below).

As there were many sight designs during that period, including upgrading of Model 1898 rifles with the improved sights, I can only surmise that several parts of the carbine sight were stamped with a "C" in order to insure proper assembly. Your stampings all appear to match so I wouldn't be concerned about it whatsoever. It looks like a straight, honest carbine to me and I believe that sight has been there since the beginning.

Model 1899 Krag Carbine

It was decided to modify the Krag carbine by increasing the length of the stock and handguard. The primary reason for introduction of the longer carbine stock was to better accommodate the Model 1898 rear sight. In addition, the "ring and bar" attachment was also eliminated. This component was seldom used-as cavalrymen routinely carried their carbines in leather saddle scabbards-which made the attachment more of a hindrance than a help. The new pattern carbine was adopted in August 1899 as the "U.S. Magazine Carbine, Caliber .30, Model of 1899." Initially, most of the Model 1899 carbines were fitted with Model 1898 sights until superseded by the Model 1901.

As with the Model 1898 rifles, late in production, the Model 1901 sight was replaced by the "Model 1902" sight on Model 1899 carbines.

Virtually all of the Model 1898 carbines were eventually modified to Model 1899 configuration and fitted with the various updated sights.

Full article: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/krag-jorgensen-rifle-history/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider, your willingness to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I think you have put this concern to bed for me and probably for the potential bidder. As always GB's experts come through for me.

Now hopefully some one bids![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jeepflexin
    Thanks Spider, your willingness to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I think you have put this concern to bed for me and probably for the potential bidder. As always GB's experts come through for me.

Now hopefully some one bids![:D]

You're welcome. Your opening bid is a bit high or I would bid on it myself. Good luck! [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:

Your opening bid is a bit high or I would bid on it myself. Good luck! [:)]

Noted and thanks! If it doesn't go this round I'll lower my expectations a bit and see where it lands.