In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith and Wesson 38 Model 36-1

c123ltc123lt Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I was given a Smith and Wesson 38 Model 36-1 by my father in 1983. It has been fired at a gun range perhaps 5 times. It is a stainless steel, 5-shot revolver with wooden grip and 3" barrel.

Can anyone give me an idea of its value? As well as the best method to use to sell it? I don't believe I have the original box.

I notice that the listings for guns for sale include specifics such as 'wear on the crane and at the muzzle' and 'case hardened trigger and hammer' and 'no fouling on the cylinder face'. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how I might obtain a detailed evaluation of the gun such as that reflected in the above descriptions? Does a person pay a gun dealer for a written evaluation? I will take multiple pictures as evidence of the gun condition and post.

I also seek your advice regarding shipping the gun following its sale. For example, how to ship the gun, to whom the gun can be shipped, any required paperwork, etc.

Anything else that I should consider regarding listing the gun or the manner of sale or concluding the sale? Thank you in advance for your response.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M36 is a carbon steel gun, with either a blue or nickel finish. It would be best for you to post photos of your gun, being sure to show the bottom of the butt & the stamped numbers on the side of the frame visible only when the cylinder is open.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

The best method of selling most guns is to post them on the Gunbroker auction site. By "best", I mean the way to get the most money; if you want "easiest", take it to a gun shop where you will get half the money. Start with FOR SELLERS at the top of the home page.

Neal

EDIT: Come on guys, let's not be judgemental. I'm sure he has good cause to make this decision; I'm not going to second guess him.
    Life is full of choices.

EDIT: We understand. But, you still need to identify your gun correctly. There IS a stainless steel version of the M36, but it is called the M60. If your gun looks like this, then it is nickel plated. If in mint condition with the original box & accessories, it could sell in the $500-600 range.
    swm10nickel6.jpg

You are not the first to ask how to sell a gun; that is why the owners of the Gunbroker auction site have provided a FOR SELLERS tutorial, which can be found on the homepage. The learning curve is fairly steep, which would explain why some folks would just take your gun to a local gun shop (& net about $250 less). I've NEVER been asked the specific questions you listed, because I always take numerous, well lit, focused, photos so that the bidders can see for themselves the exact condition of the gun. If you want to do a dry run, take photos of yours, post them on this forum, & we will critique them for you.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun was given to you by your father and you want to sell it......shame on you. [:(]
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on that Laredo...sad. Lose your own family history and your progeny suffer while you financially gain. If you care that little, just take it to the local gun shop...they'll give you a "value" on it...I won't.

EDIT#1: Point taken Neal . Appologies to the First time poster, and you are correct, likely not my place to pass judgement as anything could be causing neccessity for sale. Really hate to see families lose thier history, regardless of reason. Best, Bill

EDIT #2: OK. Can't resist saying something else here. Keep firmly in mind that when something of that dire nature occurs, it is neither the fault of the child NOR the firearm. An actual adult human being with the facilities neccesarry to properly store and restrict access to said firearm is the responsible party. Having said that, I hope against hope that said child is OK and that little ones like that NEVER have access to a firearm unsupervised at ANY TIME.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by c123lt
    I was given a Smith and Wesson 38 Model 36-1 by my father in 1983. It has been fired at a gun range perhaps 5 times. 5-shot revolver with wooden grip and 3" barrel. 14437c15

Can anyone give me an idea of its value? As well as the best method to use to sell it? I don't believe I have the original box.

FYI: 1) I am a woman.2) One loses the desire to own fire arms when a family member's child is shot with a gun in a home. Thank you Neal for the assistance. And for the reluctance to make judgments regarding another.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    +1 on that Laredo...sad. Lose your own family history and your progeny suffer while you financially gain. If you care that little, just take it to the local gun shop...they'll give you a "value" on it...I won't.

EDIT#1: Point taken Neal . Appologies to the First time poster, and you are correct, likely not my place to pass judgement as anything could be causing neccessity for sale. Really hate to see families lose thier history, regardless of reason. Best, Bill

EDIT #2: OK. Can't resist saying something else here. Keep firmly in mind that when something of that dire nature occurs, it is neither the fault of the child NOR the firearm. An actual adult human being with the facilities neccesarry to properly store and restrict access to said firearm is the responsible party. Having said that, I hope against hope that said child is OK and that little ones like that NEVER have access to a firearm unsupervised at ANY TIME.

I understand that people participate in forums for a variety of reasons. However, I fail to understand what motivates an individual to consistently pass judgment on another person based only on their own personal negative assumptions. First you seem to assume an individual is interested in selling a gift strictly for financial reasons with no emotional response to the need to do so. And second you assume the injury to a child is due to the carlessness of the child's family member. In fact, the child was shot by an intruder. The parent's delayed response to the intruder was due in part to the fact that they had secured their firearms in order to protect their children. I share these comments with you only in the hope that you rethink the manner in which you respond to simple inquiries on this site. And perhaps, if you have no response to the specific question posed, it might be better to simply say nothing at all. I hope your family is spared the pain of a similar incident. But should it occur, I hope those with whom you come in contact offer support rather than false judgment.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR

I understand that people participate in forums for a variety of reasons. However, I fail to understand what motivates an individual to consistently pass judgment on another person based only on their own personal negative assumptions. First you seem to assume an individual is interested in selling a gift strictly for financial reasons with no emotional response to the need to do so. And second you assume the injury to a child is due to the carlessness of the child's family member. In fact, the child was shot by an intruder. The parent's delayed response to the intruder was due in part to the fact that they had secured their firearms in order to protect their children. I share these comments with you only in the hope that you rethink the manner in which you respond to simple inquiries on this site. And perhaps, if you have no response to the specific question posed, it might be better to simply say nothing at all. I hope your family is spared the pain of a similar incident. But should it occur, I hope those with whom you come in contact offer support rather than false judgment.

Try to ignore some of the ignorant members of this forum [;)]

Their gene pool didn't have enough clorine [:0]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basta!

A couple of responses (that were not that terrible) were withdrawn & apologies offered. Let's end it. The original poster got the information she requested.

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was given a Smith and Wesson 38 Model 36-1 by my father in 1983. It has been fired at a gun range perhaps 5 times. It is a stainless steel, 5-shot revolver with wooden grip and 3" barrel.

I'm ignoring all of the above.

Its a relatively desirable gun. My guesstimate is that the value of a nickel-plated (not stainless steel. . .these were never made in stainless) Smith and Wesson 36-1 in 99% condition would be around $500, give or take a bit.

Best method to sell it is **NOT** to take it to a gun store, which will give you maybe 1/2 its fair market value.

BEST way is to list it for sale on the auction site here starting at $1 with MULTIPLE HIGH QUALITY pictures. This creates multiple interested bidders, and you're get a competitive fair market price.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by c123lt

I notice that the listings for guns for sale include specifics such as 'wear on the crane and at the muzzle' and 'case hardened trigger and hammer' and 'no fouling on the cylinder face'. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how I might obtain a detailed evaluation of the gun such as that reflected in the above descriptions? Does a person pay a gun dealer for a written evaluation? I will take multiple pictures as evidence of the gun condition and post.

I also seek your advice regarding shipping the gun following its sale. For example, how to ship the gun, to whom the gun can be shipped, any required paperwork, etc.

Anything else that I should consider regarding listing the gun or the manner of sale or concluding the sale? Thank you in advance for your response.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I notice that the listings for guns for sale include specifics such as 'wear on the crane and at the muzzle' and 'case hardened trigger and hammer' and 'no fouling on the cylinder face'. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how I might obtain a detailed evaluation of the gun such as that reflected in the above descriptions?

Well, someone knowledgeable about guns with a small amount of writing skill could evaluate the gun and provide such a description for you, (perhaps at a price, depending on who it is) though frankly, its unnecessary.

Anyone who knows what a Smith and Wesson 36-1 is will be familiar with its general features. Being the classic steel Smith and Wesson snubnose .38, its an "iconic" gun.

Again, the best thing to do is to take multiple well-lit pictures of the gun using a good camera with a macro lens from all angles. Those pictures will be worth FAR more than any (BS) ad copy that you write about it.

If you want to get some idea of what gun auction ads look like, you can search the Gunbroker.com auction site for completed auctions, or auctions ended in the last 90 days, for guns like yours (eg Smith 36), then read the auction listings to see what "successful" auctions look like.

quote: Does a person pay a gun dealer for a written evaluation? You "could" do that, but I don't see how it will help sell your gun for you.

I also seek your advice regarding shipping the gun following its sale.  For example, how to ship the gun, to whom the gun can be shipped, any required paperwork, etc.
    Unless you are selling it IN STATE in an individual state where face to face sales are legal, you will need to go through a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL/dealer, usually someone working at a gun store) to ship the gun for you. They won't ship to the gun to the buyer, but rather to the buyer's FFL.

They will charge you a fee for shipping, to the recipients FFL perhaps $20-50. Its negotiable.

Its up to the RECEIVING FFL to make sure that the buyer is legally able to obtain the gun, and do the appropriate background check and paperwork (Federal and/or State) before transferring the gun to them.

quote:

Yes.

Some gun stores will sell used guns for you on consignment.

They sell the gun for you, and when (if) it sells, you pay them a fee (which you negotiate in advance).

The lower the price you set, the faster it will sell.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by c123lt

100_2003.jpg

100_2004.jpg

100_2008.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_2012.jpg

100_2013.jpg

100_2015.jpg

100_2016.jpg