In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 17V and 17VS...a word to the wise!

groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
If any of you purchase the 17V or 17VS and plan to mount any sort of average length scope (3x9 pick your brand) be advised to go ahead and purchase a set of Millett 1" Windage Adjustable 22 cal. rings prior to trying to mount your scope! I just had the third guy come by today with a 3x9 World Class to mount and he didn't have any rings other than the ones that come with the rifle! They will not work! The scope sits too low and the bolt will get into the power adjustment ring of the scope and there is no positioning it so that it will work using those low rings supplied! Go ahead and get the "High" Millett rings and then you can go up to the 44 mm scopes like the Nikon 4.5-14 or Simmons Aatecs with no problem! And even if you don't use a big diameter scope the rings are not so high as to be uncomfortable or ugly fit!! GHD

Comments

• Options
    FatWoodDogFatWoodDog Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the "Heads-Up", GHD. I've been looking at the .17HMR models; and the more information, the better.

John

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice, Doggie..."until you find a Rock!!
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    GHD: when I got my Marlin I had my gunsmith drill and trap the receiver for weaver bases, works great , lets you use any type of rings you want
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    gskyhwk, That's an idea too. But a lot of people don't want to go that trouble or for that matter don't know a gunsmith that will do it so I've just been telling them/getting them the Milletts. I'm sure there are other brands out there that will work but the Milletts are also windage adjustable and that is handy sometimes. What base #'s did you use? I'll pass that on too if any body chooses to go that route. Thanks, GHD
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Weaver #45 bases on the Marlins, you can also use the Weaver "See-thru" 1" tipoof rings for grooved receivers, but the Millets GHD mentions can also allow you to center the adjusment on the scope,by tightening and loosening the opposing screws in the rings base.
  • Options
    WIN 1894WIN 1894 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use the Weaver conversion base and it is cheaper. It locks
    onto the 3/8"groove and converts to the crossbolt rings. Very easy
    installation.