In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Astra...question. Takedown? Model #?

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Just got this Astra, can anyone confirm that it is a model 300? If not, which one is it?
I want to clean it and do not want to mess anything up. How do you take it apart? Is the screw piece on the end of the slide (around the front of the barrel) used when taking this apart? What do the marks in the second picture represent? Are there any sites online that might have a parts diagram. Or info to see when this was made? Thanks for any information you might have.

The picture host that I use goes down once in a while, so if the pics can not bee seen, they usually will come up pretty soon.
2006827.jpg
2006826.jpg

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Here is the Astra proof marks at this link
    http://www.9mmlargo.com/proofs/proofs.htm

someone else will have to answer the rest of it.

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    That is a Model 300, the single grip screw, lanyard ring, and style of magazine catch are different from other simular Astra models. Is this a .32 ACP or a .380? These are nice little pistols and Astra made about 150,000 of them before production ended shortly after WWII. All of the Astra 300, 400, and 600 series take down in the same manner: With the magazine removed and the hammer down used your thumbnail or some sort of tool to depress the collar that circles the barrel at the muzzel. With the collar in, turn the knurled bushing until the recoil spring forces the bushing and collar out the front of the slide- watch out as the .380's have a strong spring.

Here comes the tricky part: Move the slide all the way to the rear and then move it forward while pushing the safety lever up to the "on safe" setting. There is a small projection on the safety that will hold the slide in the correct postion to dismount the barrel. Now rotate the barrel to the left (front view) as far as it will go. At this point you can turn the safety to the fire position and run the slide off of the frame. Now rotate the barrel until its lugs clear the retaining lugs in the slide and remove it out the front. See, There is nothing to it!

Only a mad man would attempt to disassemble an Astra beyond this point and I don't recommend it. When you reassemble the pistol be sure to align the lugs on the bushing and collar with the slide before you start pushing it into place. If this is done correctly they can be pushed straight in, by turning the bushing, the collar will snap right into place without a fuss. If you don't do this you can expect the pistol to put up a fight and it nearly always wins! It has been several years since I handled one of these Astra's, but I am pretty sure they disassemble as I described...good luck.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22WRF;
    Now I know what the proofs mean, and by following the site, I know this was made in 1943.

Mark;
    Nothing to it, ONCE you know how. Came apart like I knew what I was doing. [:D] Needs cleaned real bad (as I expected).

THANK YOU BOTH very much.