In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PREWARNING New Model RUGER BLACKHAWK 1/2 COCK ??

RAT383RAT383 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a RUGER BLACKHAWK PREWARNING New Model .357 Mag. BN34 from the estate of my friend. My question is the gun has no 1/2 cock position for the hammer. Its full cocked or all the way down, The hammer has no step on it for the 1/2 cock, I see no signs on the hammer where it might of broken off, theres just nothing there. So is this correct or is it defective ?? I keep forgeting to call Ruger during the day when I'm at work. I have to sell it off for his widow & I just want to know is this correct or is gun broken. THANKS RAT

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's safe in the full down position. The hammer can NOT contact the firing pin unless the "transfer bar" is in the up position (which happens only if the trigger is pulled).
    contact Rugar to get a manual.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    New Model Rugers do not have a half cock position. The old models did have them, but that was deleted with the new safety system.
  • Options
    RAT383RAT383 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK thank you both for your answers, I though it was OK but wanted to be sure before I list it for sale here on GB, I didn't want to sell it if it was broken, THANKS RAT.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RAT383, if you look at the revolver name, it will have "New Model" as part of the name. The "N" in the model number stands for "new" model.

As stated, all New Models have transfer bar ignition. Did you not discover that opening the loading gate released the cylinder for rotation? Obviously, that does not happen with old models, which have the half-cock position for loading.