In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope Level or Scope Canted Towards Muzzle??

Point BlankPoint Blank Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Savage 10FP-LE2 that may have problems.I have tried 3 different bases and 3 different sets of rings and have not had any luck.Once the rings are mounted on the bases i set a 6" torpedo level on the bottom rings and the setup is way out of level.The level leans down towards the muzzle and i have to pick up the level 1/2" on muzzle end to make level.On all setups i mounted a Leupold VXII and when you stand back you can clearly see it is canted towards the muzzle instead of being level looking.I called Savage and they said laying a level across the bottom rings should read level and that the scope should mount level,not canted towards the muzzle end.Is this correct,should all be level?? Wonder why the reciever is so far out of being level?? The correct bases and rings were used.Any insight would be helpful!!! [xx(]

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I make it a point to ask only embarrassing questions when making a diagnosis; but in your case I'll give you a break.
    Have you tried swapping the rings from front-to-back? Sometimes, makers of optics-holding devices don't really look too hard at a firearm makers' products, and things get outta kilter. Some ring/base makers actually make different height bases in order to make the optics more parallel with the bore; some custom long rangers are actually shimmed for more scope reticle travel.
    The only other question would be, Have you tried to boresight it with any of the three sets, and COULD you?
    But then; do you have another, longer,level?

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if this is a brand new rifle as i found out on my brothers new savage you have to use two front bases on it because on the new rifle the spot where the back base mounts is not machined lower than front spot therefore you have to use two front bases. hope this helps
    they just started doing this very recently as i had to call factory to see what was up they told me that a couple companys will soon make bases for this issue.
    doc
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage has both a "flat" (radius)rear receiver, and a round rear receiver.
    Bases can be mixed up, and reversed easily.
    Baes maker catalogs are getting caught up with the specs.
    What brand base & part # are you using???

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    Point BlanksPoint Blanks Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried 3 different manufactures of bases.Forgot the first but tried Millet and now Burris.I have the correct ones with the rear being flat and the front tapered.This is really weird as once i set the scope in rings it cants towards the muzzle bigtime!! With a level across bottom rings i am 1/2" out,leaning down towards the muzzle.I am using Burris rings also.When i spoke to someone at Savage last week they agreed that the scope should not cant towards front or be that much out of level,they said send it in.The reciever has to be out of wack bigtime.At one time i tried the Burris inserts,just so i could go shooting.I needed a +20 on one set of rings and a -10 on the other rings just to get her to boresight at 25 yards..hahahaha!!!!!My scope was very obviously tilted down towards the muzzle when you stood back and looked at it.Before i found out that it was the Savage i thought it was my new Leupold!!!I already have sent it back and it checked out ok.Thx for all the help.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is possible to have some downward tilt, yet when the scope is laid in the ring cradle.
    Some companies are doing that because:
    >It is easy to run out of adjustments,
    >Run to the ends of adjustments,
    >Stresses the scope internals,
    >Definately degrades the imaged quality,
    >Definately reduces tracking accuracy,
    >Definately degrades image quality when changing power,
    >Can effect ranging accuracy.

Also remember that you are looking at a tapered barrel, with the front ring being almost 22" from the muzzle. If you stuck a 1"X22" rod in the rings, clamped it down you would see the distance isn't always that great.

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Earlier this topic came up on the bases for the newer Savages. They use different bases than the pre-2002 models. This might be your problem.

Mobuck