In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sauer & Sons Pistol Question ???

agoetz2005agoetz2005 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
What I have here is an unknown pistol

It was my great grandfathers, and hopefully by the weekend's end it will be mine. I am seeing no model name, so I brought it here for observation. I will list all markings to the best of my ability, and with my limited eyesight.

Here we go -

Top of slide - Nothing
Left side of slide (looking from the breech end -

J.P. SAUER & SOHN SHUL
CAL 7.65

Right Side of slide - PATENT

The SN is located just under the slide on the back of the frame (3394xx), under that is either an eagle or a medal or something of that nature. The left grip as two integral S's as well as the bottom of the magazines. It has a leather holster with a different SN and some initals on it.

It had a few cartriges left inone mag marked .32 S&W

Sauer-1.jpg

Sauer-2.jpg

If anyone here can help me with ID, that would be great. It will not cock, and I am trying to find a schematic to break it down and fix the old girl up.

If you have any other questions, post them, I will be glad to add pics as best I can

Andrew

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Grandfathers pistol is a Sauer 38H. It was made by Sauer for the German Military and parmilitary forces during W W II.

It's a double action pistol. The lever on the left side of the frame should both cock and de-cock the internal hammer.

Yours appears to be in excellent condition,these pistols specially if they have paramilitary markings, are very desirable to collectors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This has an emblem under the serial number, and another emblem on the foward part of the trigger guard o the left side. I cannot get my camera to take clear pictures up close, but there is a 38H for auction now with a close up showing the markings.

Also many parts are stamped with an italisized H, is that special or just a model designation. The holster looks to be original too

I would rate the gun at 90%, a few small rust spots that can probably be buffed out. Barrel has mirror bore and strong rifling. No screw heads are buggered, and the grips are un chipped and intact

So this pistol would take standard .32 ACP cartriges I am assuming?

ANy idea of the value of this fine pistol, not for sales sake, but for insurance's sake

Andrew
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is a pistol from Pancho's EXCELLENT site that shows the paramilitary markings.

FV-Sauer-38H-Police-EC-5x100px.jpg

Please don't touch the rust spots with any sort of a buffer. It's better to leave them alone, rather then ruin the value of the pistol with a wire wheel or dremel.

It's chambered for our standard 32 Auto ammo.

Value would be in the $500 to $700 range with the paramilitary markings.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The Sauer was/is the most advanced pocket pistol made to date. It was made to compete with the
    Walther PP and Mauser HSc and was better than either with the advanced, but somewhat fragile, cocker/decocker lever.
    By this lever, the internal hammer could be cocked if uncocked, uncocked if cocked.
    Every one that I have ever seen (save one late war piece with NO proofing whatsoever) has had military acceptance marks.
    Why this weapon was not put back into production after the war has never been explained. It possessed features (decocker) not seen on a pistol for another 40 years. The cocking feature has never been copied to my knowledge.
    While the weapon can be brought into action by the hard first shot double action, the cocker allowed the weapon to be manually cocked for a more accurate first shot.

CAUTION: Due to the extremely tiny speciality springs used in the cocker/decocker system, I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINIST DISASSEMBLY OF THE FRAME PARTS. I've seen a number of these weapons with an inop cocker due to tampering.

As a side note, these were favored by the Panzer Corps (tankers). Sauer went on to become part of SigSauer that we all know and love. Nice pistol and a pleasure to shoot.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine is similar to the pictures here, and the trigger guard looks like mine here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=34020019

Differences, mine does not have a C, and my magazine release is raised circles, not knurled like the picture.

if I can find a way to post close up's I will, buut the pictures on the auction show pretty well

Andrew
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by agoetz2005
    Mine is similar to the pictures here, and the trigger guard looks like mine here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=34020019

Differences, mine does not have a C, and my magazine release is raised circles, not knurled like the picture.

if I can find a way to post close up's I will, buut the pictures on the auction show pretty well

Andrew

The change in the mag release machining was for reasons of economy. As your pistol has a higher serial number, it's to be expected.

The letter "C", ( or other letters ) denote paramilitary use. If your pistol doesn't have any letters on the left front portion of the trigger guard, it was used by the regular German Military. It's value would be less.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The front of the trigger guard hads a "37" with lines above it.

I really don't care if it was police used or not. it was Grandpa, and great grandpa uses. Makes it worth more to me than anyone else :)

Thanks for all your help everyone. I think she's a keeper

Andrew