In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Leapers, Nikko Stirling, & Millett Scopes

RogmattRogmatt Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any kind of review good or bad they can offer on the above mentioned scopes? Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not have a Leapers scope but I have at least one of the others. The Millett scopes are the best of this lot but they cost the most also. The only thing about the Millett scopes I can complain about is the back end tends to be rather large. This means that they have to be mounted higher than I would like to clear the bolt handle. This would not be a problem with a semiauto or pump action rifle.
    Both Nikko Stirling and Millett are good buys for the money.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Millett is good for the money. If you get one get the "Gold" model, it's a better made scope than the Silver series.
    Only complaint about the Millett is the A.O.(adjustable objective) has to be frequently adjusted to be clearly focused. That's not a good thing on a hunting rifle. I've only used them on light recoiling varmit/squirrel calibers where you have time to re-focused, and don't know how they would hold up to a heavy recoiling gun. On 223 Rem. and smaller they have been excellent on three guns for a friend and on one for me.
    I use better glass on hunting/serious target guns.
    Good Luck......[^]
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried a Leapers once several years back, it was ok not good but ok. I then tried the classic water dunk and freeze trick on it. They happily replaced it when it failed and fogged. I now compare every scope to the 3x9x40 Burris fullfield II at $150+SH, which is what I consider to be the low end entry point of quality scopes.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I have the Nikko Stirling Nighteater in 6-24x56 30 mm tube with side parallax (small knob) and quick eye focus.

This is the top of the mid scopes. Throw in the cost and this brand beats them.

Clear, fully multicoated lenses are the key.

Leapers...in my opinion, are junk.