In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1886 Winchester forestock

JalurpJalurp Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me where
I can buy a forestock for an 1889 Winchester rifle?
Jalurp

Thats an 1886 Winchester Sorry
Jalurp

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What vintage Model 1886, what type of barrel does it have (octagon or round), and which size barrel does it have? Are you looking for an original stock, or reproduction?
  • Options
    JalurpJalurp Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This 1886 has a 25 1/4 inch octagon barrel -thats righ to the receiver. 40-82 cal manufctured in 1892. It has a forestock on it but not original. Cost would dictate what
    I would replace it with.
    Jalurp
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, it appears to have a standard length (26-inch) barrel. Now you need to determine if it is a standard weight barrel, or special order rapid taper, heavy, or extra heavy barrel. What are the exact dimensions at the breech (right in front of the frame ring), and at the muzzle?

Once you have that information, you will then know what size forend to look for. If you are lucky and it is a standard size barrel, finding an original forestock is doable (and will not be too tremendously expensive... a few hundred $$$ for one in decent condition). If you have a non-standard barrel, then all bets are off, and your only realistic choice would be to have a reproduction stock made for it... not terribly expensive, but still not cheap. Precision and Treebone are good starting places for a repro.