In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet Question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
I know there are some long range shooters on here who also have set ups for long range hunting beyond the range in my question. My question is very simple. If you wanted to kill a caribou or elk from muzzle to 500 yards, using a 300 wsm, what bullet would you load for the job?

I'll be hand loading the bullet.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can somebody tell me what the difference is between a single shot pistol bullet and a rifle bullet of the same weight and diameter?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    According to expert recommendations, for the 350 Rem Mag, I should use 225 or 250 grain bullets for moose hunting. If I used a 30-06, 180 grain bullets are recommended. My question is this. If a 180 frain bullet in a 30 caliber is adequate for Moose, why wouldn't a 180 grain bullet in a 35 caliber be adequate?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some USGI 30 cal cartridges manf. in the late 50's. The bullets are jacketed in Zinc? Silverish color like steel, magnetic, and sparks slightly. Is it Zinc?

Jesus: Don't leave earth without him

byf
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the pistol bullet has a much thinner jacket to expand at lower velocities.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for for Mike Whiskey there. An excellent example would be the 30 Whisper from SSK for the Contender pistol. In it's suppresed loading level, it gets no faster than 1040 fps, so the jackets for those are paper thin!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thot the Whisper used 240 gr SMKs. One article by JD said they didn't expand but yawed enough that the long bullets left wide slashes.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    No difference in terms of external measurements, but as others have said, usually a thinner jacket. You can often load pistol bullets in rifles at low velocities though, no worries. If diameter is correct.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides using thinner jackets on single shot pistol bullet, manufacturers will often use small slits on the inside front of the jacket which is called 'skiving'. These function similarly to thin jackets since they essentially weaken the jacket allowing for faster expansion at slower velocities.

The original Whisper concept was developed for suppressed subsonic anti-personnel use which utilized the 240 gr. Sierra Match King bullet and the very small capacity .221 Fireball case necked up to accept the .30 caliber bullets. While this was the original design, it doesn't preclude the use of other bullets under different circumstances. It is a superb low recoil cartridge with a high potential for accuracy.

Best.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    They also perform pretty good for reduced velocity loads in large calibers for beginners or recoil sensitive shooters.