In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What does this mean? Ammo question

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2006 in Ask the Experts
7 x 57 mm, rimless ammunition
I have never heard of rimless ammo before and whould like to know what it is.
DSm

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A misnomer, for sure. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all ammo has a rim of one sort or another. Early cartridges had rims that extended beyond the body of the shell base to allow for extraction. Common rounds that follow that basic design today include the .22 rimfire, lever actions rounds like the 30-30, and revolver rounds like the .357, .44 mag. etc. Shotshells also have this rimmed design.
    When the rim is the same diameter as the shell base (like .45 autos, 30-06, etc. there is a machined groove to allow extraction and these are considered "rimless". There are also "rebated" rims which are smaller than body diameter like the .284.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    phideaux4886,

It is standard 7x57 Mauser. Rimless means that the "rim" doesn't extend out side the base or web of the case.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A rimmed cartridge has a rim that is larger than the rear of the cartridge case such as the 30-30 and 30-40 Krag for two of many examples.
    The rim of the so-called rimless case is approximately the same diameter as the rearmost edge of the case at the extractor groove such as the .270, .30-06, 7mm Mauser and many others. Compare an '06 case with the 30-30 case and you'll see the difference.
    Cheers,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was just trying to picture what "rimless" ammo would look like and could not wrap myself around it.
    DSM
  • Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ammo.jpg

From left to right:
    Rimless..Semi-Rimmed..Rimmed..Rebated Rimmed..Belted

Crims40
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Good information by all posters.

In the case of the 7x57 it was made in two versions both as a rimless version and a rimmed version. The rimmed version is not seen often in the US but is much more popular in Europe.

The rimless version was loaded in a limited number of Mauser 1892 rifles and later in Spanish Mausers which were responsible for most of casualties on San Juan Hill in Cuba. At one time it was also loaded in the Winchester Model 70.

I have seen the rimmed version used in drillings some of which were recently offered for sale by CDNN. These were, as my poor memory serves me, an over/under rifle chambered for the 7x57R or rimmed. They were also selling ammunition to accompany the rifle. In this case the rim would be useful for positive extraction.

Since the 7x57 exists in both a rimmed and rimless version, the cartridge is sometimes referred to as a the 7x57 rimless to distinguish it from the 7x57R or rimmed version of essentially the same cartridge. Each cartridge has the essentially the same ballistics.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good information. FWIW, there ARE a very few oddballs that ARE totally rimless. Stuff like 5mm Bergman. Moffat Flat Base front loaders, etc. These are all collector cartridges, very pricy, and not in current production. Look up stuff like Moore & Williams Titfire, Plant Cupfire, Crispin- (all non-rimfire/ noncenterfire) and you wind up scatching your head wondering why.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    A common US cartridge that comes in both rimed and rimless would be the 308 Win (rimless)its rimed counterpart being the 307 Win.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My questioning is regarding an old Mauser that I have. I'd like to own a few old Mausers since I have a wife from Germany.
    I caught mention of rimless on a Mauser site and made a note to ask some questions. I've never shot the Mauser, but I'd want to at some time and I would hate to damage it by putting the wrong round in it.
    Thanks for the comments.
    DSM
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by phideaux4886
    My questioning is regarding an old Mauser that I have. I'd like to own a few old Mausers since I have a wife from Germany.

German guns go with german wives? Does this mean that I can buy a Polish SKS for my polish wife?