In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sks rifles

bakmc3bakmc3 Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
edited December 2006 in Ask the Experts
thinking of getting one as a project. Any opinions as to which is the best made Russian, Norinco, Yogo?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I want to buy an sks but there are so many choices. Chinese,norinco, russian, yugo, albanian, etc. I know the chinese/norinco's as well as the albanian models have chrome lined bores. Does a chrome lined bore make it a better gun? Ar15's have them as do ak's. What about parts? is it easier to find them for some models but not others?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never thought I see the day, that I had anything to do with an SKS, but----Question comes to mind after looking at the listings on the auction side. Are there any NEW SKS's being made/imported? Which ones? Imported by whom? Barring new ones, which are the most reliable/repairable available ones today? THX HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anybody tell me which sks rifles is the best ones.or can you tell me about the yugoslavia made sks rifles,what are they worth.thank you for any info[8D]
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general the Russian are the best .. THe Yugos go anywhere from $125-$175 .. they are ok as well as the chinese versions..
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Yugos are available both with the grenade launcher, & without. They're the heaviest of the SKS's, especially the ones with the GL.

Neal
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to start a 'shooting collection' the SKS isn't a bad start. There are quite a few variations to keep things interesting. The Russian is the 'holy grail' for some, I have not found one I could afford just yet. The Yugo's are pretty plentiful now,still cheap, and are a heavier built piece than the Chinese ones. The Yugo does not have the corrosion protection of a chromed bore, but one in generally good shape will be OK. Nothing wrong with a Chinese one in good shape. If they BANG when you pull the trigger, and you can hit a pie-plate at 100 yds you have a keeper.
    One more thought...there are probably more 'accessories' for the SKS than for anything. Some are useless, but harmless, and some are nice to have. The best thing is cheap ammo. ENJOY
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the yugo...I have one and if works great!!
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are all great rifles for what they are meant for. have fun and be safe
  • Options
    profesor01profesor01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have several sks rifles russian chinesse and yugo the russians are a better rifle more accurate more reliable etc but all are good rifles just depends on what you want to spend
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. , here we go ...
    We sell (& 'smith') a lot of sks's , the yugo version is the most common at this time ??? the chinese (norinco) seems to be a real popular version but is getting a little harder to find , and thus a little more $$$ ? we have seen and sold most other versions , all seem to be good items , (I own a couple my-self) , Great item as a shooter/collection ...By the way , if you get a yugo and have problems (feed & function), contact us and we will help you with a fix.....
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn