In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser Broomhandle magazines

CONANCONAN Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2006 in Ask the Experts
Greetings Gun Lovers,Does anyone know where I can get 20 round magazines for my Mauser?Do all removable magazines fit all models of Mauser pistols?I heard that Polytech might sell such an item.Anybody have any knowledgs of such?Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Triple K has them listed, in the catalog I have. ( Don't have their web-sight ). Also according to their catalog, some of the reworked, aftermarket ( non selective fire versions, of the Model 712 ), might have to have the magazines hand-fitted.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This something new to me. The only detachable magazines I ever heard of were for the schnellfeuer model.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    This something new to me. The only detachable magazines I ever heard of were for the schnellfeuer model.

Model 712 = Schnellfeuer, same same. Some of doubtfull legality, were reworked to eliminate the selective fire mechanism and sold in the States. Conan never went into any detail, regarding his Schnellfeuer/OOPS "Mauser".
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser 711 made in China (recent) that came with 10 and 20 round detachable mags. Caliber is 9mm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello again,Conan here.I didnt think my question was anything of consequence.I have two Mauser books;"Know your Broomhandle Mausers" by R.J.Berger and "System Mauser" by Breathed and Schroeder.As far as I can figure,my Mauser is a transitional Model of 1930.Serial no.887732.Its in pretty bad shape on the outside but really nice on the inside.In these books I have,I get the impression that any version of Broomhandle will accept a detachable magazine by simply removing the floor plate and integral magazine pieces.Am I wrong?My pistol is severely pitted all over on the outside and will never be worth any big bucks,so I dont worry about any "non-original"parts being added to it.I bought it a long time ago and still have never shot it.Its ability to not blow up in my face is in question and not being that much of a thrillseeker,I didnt want to see if I could be permanently injured when the bolt flys down my throat upon shooting it.I replaced all the inner springs,bought a wooden holster stock for it,along with 2 different leather holsters and some original Mauser ammo and I figure thats the best I can hope for.It has the Chinese characters on it that say "Made in China" on the left side of the mag well and it has 1000 yard sights.What else can I say?Thanks to all for your interest and comments.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think your impression is correct. There might be some kit or kluge to get a detachable magazine in a standard Mauser but Herr Mauser and the Feederle brothers didn't make them that way.

When our big trading partners the Communist Chinese decided to unload their obsolete pistols on us round eyed devils, they had a number of 712 Schnellfeuer full autos they could not sell here. So one enterprising importer bought the uppers, parts, and detachable magazines and installed them on new made semi-auto only receivers. Advertised them as model 711s which were very uncommon real Mausers with detachable magazines but no selector.
    I wonder if Hairy's is one of these or is an all-chinese copy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CONAN
    Hello again,Conan here.I didnt think my question was anything of consequence.I have two Mauser books;"Know your Broomhandle Mausers" by R.J.Berger and "System Mauser" by Breathed and Schroeder.As far as I can figure,my Mauser is a transitional Model of 1930.Serial no.887732.Its in pretty bad shape on the outside but really nice on the inside.In these books I have,I get the impression that any version of Broomhandle will accept a detachable magazine by simply removing the floor plate and integral magazine pieces.Am I wrong?My pistol is severely pitted all over on the outside and will never be worth any big bucks,so I dont worry about any "non-original"parts being added to it.I bought it a long time ago and still have never shot it.Its ability to not blow up in my face is in question and not being that much of a thrillseeker,I didnt want to see if I could be permanently injured when the bolt flys down my throat upon shooting it.I replaced all the inner springs,bought a wooden holster stock for it,along with 2 different leather holsters and some original Mauser ammo and I figure thats the best I can hope for.It has the Chinese characters on it that say "Made in China" on the left side of the mag well and it has 1000 yard sights.What else can I say?Thanks to all for your interest and comments.

I just "CAREFULLY" reread your post and it has me confused? I wasn't aware that those "PRE" Schnellfeuer, "NON" selective fire, Mausers, had removeable magazines? Either your Mauser Broomhandle is a exceedingly rare varation, or more likely it was reworked in China to take Schnellfeuer magazines.

The Chinese for various reasons were much enamored with the Mauser Broomhandle pistol. They were probably Mausers best customer for them. When the Spanish copies came out in the 20's, they also bought them in quanity. Eventually the Chinese started producing them for themselves. The quality of materials and workmanship always has been suspect in the Chinese, locally produced versions. In my opinion your wise in not firing your pistol, just keeping it as a historical conversation piece.

The confusion regarding your search for a magazine, is based on the fact that the Mauser Pistol that uses this type of magazine is selective fire. Most folks unfortunately tend to assume that you have one of these pistols, if your looking for a magazine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello rufe-snow,I think I was just having a case of "wishful thinking".Pure logic would dictate that some type of magazine "catch" would have to incorporated into the pistol to hold the detachable magazine in place.I also erred in saying that the Chinese characters on the side of the mag well said"Made in China".Obviously Mausers were made in Germany.I guess my brain is turning to mush after 50 years.Sorry.Theres a man selling two Mausers at my local gun show,both of which seem to be very cherry.Hes asking $2400 each,so that kills the deal for me.Ones a Red 9,the other a 7.63.One comes with a wooden holster stock.Awesome pistols,too expensive for me.I cant afford to collect .Thanks for your comments.Have a good holiday everybody.