In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

+P Question

kamikazetsunamiskamikazetsunamis Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
would a S&W 36 with 2" pinned barrel be ok to use +P ammo in ?

Comments

• Options
    kamikazetsunamiskamikazetsunamis Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was reading on sigforums.com and came across a something I didn't know. Would like your thoughts and maybe an explanation.

"+P has no advantage in .45ACP cartridges. Find a 230gr JHP you like and stick with it."

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4391067121
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO +p has a very short list in the Plus Column and a long list in the - column. It is sort of like a car It is fun to drive it fast and at it's limit but like a pistol it will increase the rate of wear sometimes at a point to needing repairs and parts replacement . It will NOT make you a better driver or pistol shooter. Lets face it the % of shots we take to defend our life is I hope a very small one .Shooting should be fun and training to be able to hit what you want. I venture to say that a person that can shoot a 3 inch group at 25 yards with standard ammo is better able to defend them-self then someone that shoots a 12 inch group but uses +p or +p+ loads . YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm not a .45 expert but the velocity gain of +p 230 grain HP doesn't seem to be enough to increase performance to a noticeable amount. If the bullet is soft enough to expand properly at normal .45 speed an additional 8-10% probably won't make much difference at useful range. I'm not a fan of any +p handgun ammo. If you need more power, get a bigger gun.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    In general, I'll agree with that statement, no real advantage and will accelerate wear, shorten the pistols service life.

In a carbine, well another story and does have its advantages there, not much but its there.

If a 45 auto isn't powerful enough, consider a 10mm. Same size package with more power, way more than any 45 +P can generate.