In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Benelli M2.......20 ga......VS..........12 ga.

Target-PanicTarget-Panic Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I guess I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy that Benelli that I've been wanting. I plan to order a 24" rifled slug barrel, and a 26" vent rib w/ chokes. I'd rather shoot the 20 gage, but I'm unsure, as to how much better the range/performance will be with a 12 gage.
I've shot a couple of Turkeys with a 20 ga. full choke, and they were just as dead as one shot with a 12 ga. Any advice....or opinions?

Comments

• Options
    epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would assume that, since you are getting a rifled slug barrel that you are going to shoot something bigger than turkeys. Maybe deer? If that is the case I would go with the 12 guage, it is also more versitile, imho, if you plan to do any wing shooting for things like canada goose where you need a little more knock down power.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I usually hunt deer in Illinois during there second shotgun season. We hunt in fairly tight cover w/ most shots under 75 yards.
    I remember reading somewhere that the difference in the energy on a slug was not much different between a 12 ga. & 20 ga., but I can't remember where I read it. My thinking is......If the gun is more fun & comfortable to shoot.....then I'll shoot it more, and therefore become more proficient with it. But if the difference in "knock down" power is huge.....then I'll rethink and probably go with the 12 ga. Anyone know where to find this info....???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well......I guess I answered my own question. The 12 ga. has much more energy at 75-100 yds. Check out the chart below.

http://www.soccerweb.org/dismalacres/sabotsweb.htm