In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Safe In Garage

olsenjbolsenjb Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm going to be moving soon, and I'm thinking about putting my gun safe in the unheated/un-air conditioned garage of our new house. However, living in Utah, the temperatures can vary quite widely over the course of a day and I'm a bit concerned about my safe and guns being in an environment with such big temperature fluctuations. I fear condensation could occur pretty easily. I was wondering if anyone on here had any thoughts? Does anyone here keep their safes in a place where the temperature isn't regulated?

The new place also has an unfinished basement. The temperatures in it would be a little better controlled, but it would still fluctuate pretty good in the unfinished basement as well.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote for the unfinished basement for better security and better climate control.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35, you may be able to install a low wattage strip heater in the safe to keep the humidity down, and a little bit of RIG on all metal parts.
    Cheers,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is in the garage in Texas. Plenty of crazy weather changes. It has been in there for 6 years. I have three of those rechargable dessicant boxes. I put them in the oven about once every four months, or if they change colors, quicker. I have had no problems at all. It has done fine. I have a liberty safe with bolts all the way around, I think it is sealed up pretty well, I think that helps also. I didn't want to put it in the garage, but I got married, and all my stuff ended up there.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    olsenjb,

"...living in Utah" It's a dry heat...and cold. You pretty much don't have to worry about rust on a short term basis until you get moved. I would worry about theft until you get it moved. If you have a place that you can trust than no one will break into, then the new basement is a good place for your guns. If someone is around to watch then a locked garage may do.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We live in SE Ohio. A friend has his in the garage, and put a fluorescent light in his, and just keep them lubed.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello olsenjb[:)]

I have a HUGE safe. I live in Florida and the relative humidity is about the same as a sunk submarine. I have a golden/dry rod in my safe. Do not use a low wattage light bulb. It will have all kinds of bad effects on any stock it touches. The fluorescent light will work as it does not get any hotter than the golden rod. The problem with fluorescent bulbs is breakage when taking out or putting in a rifle. The dessicant cans will work as well but they require care every couple of months -- I don't use them as I don't have the room for them but I do have the golden rod.

If you put it on a concrete floor, then be sure to set it on a sheet of out door plywood - otherwise the bottom of the safe will rust.

Best Regards[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AdamsQuailHunter
    Hello olsenjb[:)]

I have a HUGE safe. I live in Florida and the relative humidity is about the same as a sunk submarine. I have a golden/dry rod in my safe. Do not use a low wattage light bulb. It will have all kinds of bad effects on any stock it touches. The fluorescent light will work as it does not get any hotter than the golden rod. The problem with fluorescent bulbs is breakage when taking out or putting in a rifle. The dessicant cans will work as well but they require care every couple of months -- I don't use them as I don't have the room for them but I do have the golden rod.

If you put it on a concrete floor, then be sure to set it on a sheet of out door plywood - otherwise the bottom of the safe will rust.

Best Regards[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter

Very good advice.

Keep the safe off of concrete, either with outdoor plywood or some 2 X 4 spacers.

Bolt it down so it can't be easily moved.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Putting something under the safe to raise it off the floor is a good idea, but if there is a water problem plywood will absorb water & stay damp. I cut some strips from an old allum. running board to put under mine. The tread pattern face down on the allum. strips allows air flow to keep things dry. Some duct tape on the top side of the strips stops any interaction between the steel of the safe & the allum. strips.
  • Options
    bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume by unfinished ref. your basement, neither the floor nor walls are finished. That should not be a problem. We moved into our home in 1994. The walls were painted within a year but not the floor. True, we have the furnace/air conditioner down there but they have never been a problem. The air ducts include 2 small vents into the basement. Each safe has a can of dessicant in it. I check them regularly and bake them out, normally every 2-3 months summer and winter. To date, I have had no moisture problems with any firearm or signs of rust on safe metal. We also have an exchange system that changes inside air for outside air. Again, no problems and it runs off and on all day long. One thing I did do was leave both safes on the skids they were delivered on.....to keep them off the cement.

If you can keep tools and power equipment in the basement, why not your guns??

Regards, Bob
  • Options
    peppersacpeppersac Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had mine in my garage for about 9 months. I just used a golden rod and two of those cans with the beads in it. I had to recharge my cans every month during the spring. I left my safe sitting on the pallet it cam on so it wasnt touching the ground.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mines in the garage

its has been -20 out 30-34 in the garage.

there is a golden rod in the bottom as well as the top and have had no problems

as long as it is warmer inside than out you will have no problems

its when the outside temp is warmer than the inside temp, this is when you will get condensation.