In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Colt

sd8sd8 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1911 Colt auto, 1918 vintage marked United States Property.
My question is; the slide looks exactly like my 1911A1 1943 vintage.
The wear on the gun is the same for both the slide and frame. All the Government issue 1911's I've ever seen have "Model of 1911" on the right side of the slide and mine does NOT. It does have the hardening mark on the front portion.
Is this the original slide? How can I be sure? It has the same rear sight as the 1911A1, but a much thinner front sight.
I got this .45 in Viet Nam in trade for a Jeep I ripped off at the Cho-Lon PX in Viet Nam.:-) Those were the years for sure.
All these years I thought it was all original.??????
Thanks,
Mike

Edited by - Unknownchief on 06/23/2002 15:30:20

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 1911 serial c131610 was wondering what it is worth.
    thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

please bear with me, this is my first time entering or submitting a question.

I have purchased what I thought was a 1918 colt 1911, SN 386195. I purchased it because I had already purchased Colt WW1 reproduction 1911 and wanted an original. I found there was a difference in the slide. The slide on the 1918 colt has a circled colt on the left rear side, patent date up to 1911, an "H" at the back of the slide above the hammer.
    The barrel is "HS" on the right lug and a "P" on the left.

My questions is what is this slide, what can I do to find the proper slide for this 1918 Colt and is this slide with the circled colt worth anything?

thanks in advance,
    Stephen
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello your slide is earlier then the frame. The correct slide for your serial number frame should have should have the colt logo between the Patent dates and the word colt on top line and Hartford on the second line . The HS barrel is a replacement WW II barrel or later made by High Standard. Is your frame and slide matching as far as finish Black or are they parkerized ?? contact me from my profile for more information cheers Karl AKA PERRY SHOOTER

EDIT you have mail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

they are not parkerized, both are black. The black on the slide seems to match the frame.
    Stephen
  • Options
    hunt214hunt214 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    during 1918 colt brought a gunsmith out of retirement for 2 years.you can go to a colt web site and look up the information. when my dad died he left me a old army issue 1911,masde in 1918.i have it sitting on red velvet in a glass top presentation case.i have ivory grip with a gold texas star in the handles.i still have all the original parts