In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

not sure which is better

Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
i am looking at picking up a rifle, i have narrowed it down to two are the Springfield m1a1 socom and a SIG 556. whick would be the better out of the 2? accuracy? reliabilty?ammo?

Comments

• Options
    dal44dal44 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to a high power rifle match, you will see a lot of M1A1's
    They are great..
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    What do you call better?
    Cheeper ammo?
    Accuracy at what range?
    What are you going to use it for?

Although these are two great battle rifles they are really a world appart. The Socom is a 308 while the Sig is a 223. Both are great guns but they searve totally different purposes, so it woul help if we understood what the purpose of the gun would be.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have both and like both for different reasons. If you do go with the M1A I would suggest the Scout style. If you want it to be shorter get a Smith Vortex break. This will make the OAL right between the Socom and Scout, but you still get the longer bbl and don't have to worry about the special parts for the front end.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would take the M1A. I would also look into a DSA FAL clone as well before the Sig.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am looking for a gun to have for self defense, also if the time comes for me to need a rifle and be prepared for what ever, i will be
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Then go with the Sig, or an AR. There is more choices for 223 ammo, and it is less expensive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so there are more choices for 223 than 308? i like the fact that the M1a comes with the rail and looks smaller than the 556. can i sut a socom stock on the 556?