In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice on next rifle needed.

Dangerous TDangerous T Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Well, its time for me to buy a new rifle. This will be in 5.56x45.
So, I need your advice on to which rifle to choose out of this list.
I can find merits and flaws in each of them, but I need someone who is more knowledgeble to help me make a desicion:
1) V-93, by Vector Arms. A copy of HK93, the quality the same or better then the original. 5 years warranty. The problems are that the barrel is pinned in (making it hard to replace), and that the mags are expensive.

2) Sig556. This is an AK rifle. Better made but still is AK (which is what I like). It supposed to be pretty accurate and since it is an AK it is reliable. The problems with it are bad iron sights and just god auful telescopik M4 style scope (which I HATE), and equally ugly foregrip. Also, there are no after market HBARs available for it.

3) ACR. Bushmaster ACR isn't out yet, however, they promise everything to everyone on this. That this rifle will be able to do everything, do it well, and you can change the calibers. However, they promise WAAAY to much for me to believe it, it is simply a souped up AR180, with a price tag that keeps on growing. So I am skeptical

4) Armalite AR181. Yeah, you heard me right. AR181. I have it from Armalite management that the rifle SHOULD (nothing is solid), be out before the end of the year. They release NO details, other then the upper and lower be swipable with AR180 and AR180B. I happen to have AR180B and I like it.

5) Saiga 223. It is cheap, it is ugly, but it still gets about 3.5MOA with wolf ammo. It is dead last in accuracy compared to the rest of the rifles listed here. However, it is also the cheapest. The problems is that you can't replace a worn out barrel, no HBARs are available, further more, while it costs only $260, you need to spend more money for a new trigger group, new stock and foregrip to make it a high cap.

6) Arsenal AK in 556. Basically it is the same saiga, with a better finish and marginally better accuracy. For three times the price. I doubt that it is even worth it.

So, folks, if you can give me information on any of these 6 rifles, please do.
Thank you all in advance

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try out one other name...Robinson Armament...the M96 Expeditionary Rifle, and the new XCR...be careful...don't break your arm filling out order forms.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the Sig 556. Takes AR 15 mags, very available & inexpensive to stock up on. The Sig has a great trigger and uses a piston instead of the AR recoil system. It has a very "snappy" feel to it during recoil, not at all the "swoosh & slam" of the AR. I'm not a big "black gun" fan - have 3 or 4 ARs, FAL & such just to pitch in - but I really like the 556.

I have a Volquartsen Evoluntion, great target rifle and very accurate. Given their great difference in appearance and purpose, the Sig did almost as well as the V on the target range. Granted, we were both in the break in stage and plain old 55 grain FMJ was being used, but I was very impressed.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy one of each. I like the Sig. That stock can be replaced with any flavor of colapsible AR stock.

AK barrels can be replaced if you plan ahead. It's only a matter of knocking out the barrel pin and barrel. You would need to plan ahead if you want chrome lined replacement barrels as all imports on AK barrels have now ceased. Non-chrome lined barrels are being made in the us.

If you have the cash buy one of those fancy new ones you mentioned and pick up an AK in 5.45. Ammo is still affordable in that caliber.