In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A HAMILTON PISTOL???

Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
A seller here on GB seems to me to be offering a .22rf Hamilton Model 27 rifle, which has been transformed into a single shot PISTOL. Although the seller doesn't claim it to be made this way by Hamilton, and only says it was "Produced in the early 1900s...." (not who made it) the offer includes what appears to be a professionally made holster with the gun, and this prompts the idea that it was a gun produced in the Hamilton Rifle Company factory.

Here is the URL: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101063610

As far as I can learn, Hamilton never made any pistols, only rifles, and even those were very limited in variety. Does anyone know of documented proof that Hamilton also made a Model 27 PISTOL?

Thanks for any info ~ ~ ~ Shansei45

Comments

• Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether there was a Hamilton factory made pistol, I will leave others to answer. This piece is probably illegal. This home-made effort is such a clumsy amateurish attempt in making a pistol from a rifle, the perpetrator should be ashamed of himself. So should those offering it for sale. Looks like something I did when I was 13 years old, back in the 1930s - only mine was from a single barrel shotgun - and a better job.

The slim-jim holster looks like it was made by someone who knew how --- but long ago and for some other gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think you're right rhmc24 - about the illegal part. I know what you mean about conversions when you're young. In my high school days old double-barrel front-stuffer scatterguns were a dime a dozen. I took a couple of 'em and with a good hacksaw made "pirate pistols" out of them.

We lived a mile outside of a small town in Hoosierland, surrounded by crop fields. Those old charcoal burners sent many a marauding crow and starling to its final rest, if they flew over my territory!

These guns had beautiful checkering, engraved German-silver hardware, great grain in the wood, etc.. I now kick myself for ruining them.

About that holster, I agree. Looks like it might have been for a GameGetter, or one of the long-barreled Stevens "Pocket Rifles."

Best regards ~ ~ ~ Shansei45
    NoPETA.jpg
    Yes, there IS a place for all of God's creatures:
    right next to the potatoes and gravy.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shansei - I see you "been there - done that" too. Congrats (or something).

I have a * .45 broomhandle. Are you into them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep! Got one rhmc24. Always been a fan of the C-96s but never expected to own a legendary Shansei of WW II fame! Too many $$$$.

I was totally fascinated by the new imports of Shanseis and "HAD TO HAVE ONE." Also got the new leather shoulder holster, but stopped there. Became totally engrossed in single-shot .22rf vintage stuff made in US and Canada.

Shansei I got is beautifully machined, fantastic, deep, dark bluing, and TINY import stamp up nearl out of sight on the front grip strap, behind the trigger guard. No idea how they got it in there...

Will be parting with it before long, as I intend to thin the herd to the basic .22 stuff. All my other non-.22rf goodies will go up for auction eventually - EXCEPT PP "house" guns.

SHANSEIWITH25ACP_edited.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember these brass sleeved, steel wrapped pieces of junk as a kid. They were on the back page of comic books offered as premiums for selling seeds.
    Cutting one down , aside from the illegality, cant diminish an already piece of trash.
    These bottom of the barrel guns can only have value to collectors of "boys guns" and then only in good original condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Early .22rf Boys' Rifles is part of my collectible parameters and I've got two unusual variations of both the 27 and 027. And, I'm well aware of what they are - POS. However, the question here is: Does anyone know of a pistol Hamilton Rifle Co. made, and can document it. Even the rare Winchester pistols which look like converted single-shot rifles have turned out to be recorded as factory produced!!!

Could happen with Hamilton. I just want to know if anyone has any records of such a critter.

Thanks for the response v35. Have you taken a look at the Hoban 45 which was produced by the guy who bought out the Hamilton company? The Germans even copied it for an outfit up in Chicago after Hoban fell ill and decided to call it quits.

Yes, I carry a gun, 'cause a cop is too heavy!