In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Woodsman

robert574robert574 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about the colt woodsman 22LR ie.. when they were made,there value, ect...
Thanks algos83

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    If a Woodsman serial number is 100,xxx without any prefix or suffix letter is it a FIRST series?

I don't have it here, but it does have a magazine release on the bottom, fixed front sight, movable rear sight, 4 1/2" barrel, and "THE WOODSMAN" on the side.

Edit

Ok I own it now. Looks like a 1936 model.

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of factory wood grips for it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Woodsman 1st series bullseye match,at least 98% percent ( very small bluing wear at end edge of barrel )and is stamped US Property,it has the right grips ( plastic ). Any idea what it is worth ? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad brought over a Colt Woodsman today that belonged to my grandfather. The Serial # is 134xxx-S
    It has a 6" barrel and fully adjustable rear sight. Does anyone have the date of manufacture and how many of this model were produced?
    Thanks in advance....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello , would anyone know the approx
    dom of a Colt Woodsman ser# 025137S

Thanks much
    Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Picked one up on the real cheap and it's in great condition, want to find out the year of manufacture if possible. Serial # 206302-S 6" bbl (may be 4 1/2" depending where you measure from) blue with what looks like walnut target grips (with thumb rest) mag release on the bottom. Any help would be great, thanks.

PJ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am trying to put the mainspring housing back in the frame up beside the recoil spring guide. Having trouble getting it to go beside it. Any expert help???
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Being somewhat new to pistols, I need some education. Did colt ever make a "target model" woodsman with a round barrel? I looked on the auction side to get comp prices on a target model I,m looking at in my area, and I found (auction # 113438155)a target model w/box. Well the box says target, but I can't see it on the gun, and it has a round barrel. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've already posted this in General Discussion, just covering the bases.

I have a Colt Woodsman, and today when I was out in the woods I didnt have occasion to shoot it, I only carry it for copperhead elimination. Thing is, when I got back out of the woods I decided I'd go ahead and fire a couple rounds. It decided it didnt want to. The thing would only cock the hammer back occasionally, consistently refused to work correctly. Puzzled me, no big deal. I brought it home, I'd heard something shake inside when I shook it, figured I'd find something obvious. I took it apart, looked at it, didnt see anything wrong. Put it back together, pulled the slide back, gun felt totally different, felt the hammer cock back. Fired it a couple times dry fire, no choice, gun works fine now. No more rattling noise either. I dont have a clue what was wrong with it. Any ideas?

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am questioning the value of a gun. It is a Colt Woodsman, 22 caliber with a serial number of 171526-S. This gun has ivory grips all professionally etched/engraved. This is an awesome weapon and has been in my family for years. It is in excellent shape as my father has kept it functional and in a most professional shape. I would appreciate anyone's knowledge as to the value of this weapon.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the original wood grips for a first model. . . You might find them on this auction site; I'd definitely try there first. They do show up on e bay but given e bay's anti-gun position and refusal to sell most gun parts, I'd go there last. Wherever you find them, if they're in good condition expect to pay $50 to $100, or more depending on just how good they are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. It definitely looks like a 1936 model. The pistol is pushing the 98% mark as far as finish and wear go. It's in great shape.

It doesn't have the original grips and according to some pictures I've seen they should be wood. Some of the grips I've seen are not real appealing and I think I'd like just a plain pair of checkered grips that stop a the bottom of the magazine. I'd like to find a spare magazine for it also.

Haven't seen anything yet. Let me know if you have any ideas. I put out an active search on ebay to email me of anything.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello some target grips are available and original wood one are available go to my profile and send me your email address and I will send you a picture of what you should have on your pistol.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Numrich/Gunpartscorp has "Woodsman Pre-War Grips, Early Model, Replacement" for $31.45:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=556910&MC=
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I saw those grips also and called them (Numrich). The replacements are black hard rubber. Don't have my email back yet from "perry shooter" yet, but I believe the originals were checkered wood (also from some other pictures I've seen). I'm hoping to find a nice pair of original wood ones [:)]

I'd also like to find an original magazine in good shape. The replacements Numrich have fit both a High Standard and Colt.

I guess $$$'s will be the deciding factor and availability.