In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8x57 Mauser action

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is ther anyplace where I could obtain one of these actions fairly reasonably???? I want to duplicate one I built up years ago and foolishly sold. Mine had an 18" barrel,peep sights and a sporter stock(I know a real bubba job, but I liked it )I feel like it would be a great deer and pig rifle.I dont want too put a million bucks into this project but I would probably spend about $500 on the total project without crying too loud.

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    What kind of Mauser? I bought two Yogo 24/47s A little over a year ago at Big 5. $99.00 each and came with a sling and bayonet even.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check GunBroker auctions; Relics, then type in the search window; 98. That will pull up most 98 action guns.
    Sarco sells actions only.
    A 98 without a barrel is the action.
    A 98 action with a 8X57 barrel is a barreled action.
    Not sure which you want.

If you want a 8X57 barreled action find a good 24/47 since most of those were rebarrled then stored, never used and sold as surplus. (You can sell the stock and stock metal on GB and get 1/3 or more your money back)
    I bought ten a couple years ago (from Classic Arms) and every one had a new barrel.
    If you intend on rebarreling it find one were the guy admits the bore is shot out or pitted to save the money on a barrel you don't want anyway.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I thought the 24/47 had an intermediate length action, limiting choices on aftermarket stocks.

I'd go with a Turk large ring action or Czech or German.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wulfmann I will take either, an action or barreled action
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reddnek
    Is ther anyplace where I could obtain one of these actions fairly reasonably???? I want to duplicate one I built up years ago and foolishly sold. Mine had an 18" barrel,peep sights and a sporter stock(I know a real bubba job, but I liked it )I feel like it would be a great deer and pig rifle.I dont want too put a million bucks into this project but I would probably spend about $500 on the total project without crying too loud.

Check out SARCO website or their add in Shotgun News - they always seem to have some.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if you were in FLA I would let you have one of my 24/47s but being hand select they are nice enough you might not want to alter it.
    I test fired every one and all shot about 2 inches at 100 yards with milsurp ammo.
    Scoped one for a friend. Funny it is one of his favorite guns and he can afford and has many costing a lot more.
    The Yugos, both M24/47 and M48 have a 1/4 inch shorter action (still uses the same extractor though) and it is correct there are less option for stocking one but Boyds makes Yugo length action stocks. Check to see if they have one you like before deciding.
    I also have a Czech VZ-24 that also shoots well (I am thinning my collection) Full length action and VZ-24s are the smoothest of all the 98 actions (along with German commercial and some Argentine 1909s)
    If you just wanted the barreled actions I could do that but IMO the little off you would get makes the whole gun a better deal

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    visit all the gun shows that you possibly can in your area. i buy mauser actions all the time for cheap. the last two cost me $50.00 and $60.00. both were large ring "erfurt" german actions. good luck! best!