In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

refinished 92

moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have found a 92 winchester in excellent condition, antique ser#, rare cal,asking 3500.00, the blue book says it's worth that, but it appears the wood has been refinished. How much does this cut the value?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello moretoys,

I have to first ask... what exactly is "rare cal"?

I suspect that you (or the seller is trying to say that it is chambered for a "rare caliber", but I can positively tell you, that there is no such thing as a "rare caliber" in the Model 1892/92 (with the exception of the few hundred that were made very late in production chambered for the 218 Bee cartridge). The Model 1892 was chambered in four different cartridges... the 44 W.C.F., 38 W.C.F., 32 W.C.F., and 25-20 W.C.F., with the most common being the 44 W.C.F., but there were tens of thousands made in each of the other three cartridges. There simply is no such thing as a "rare caliber" in this Model.

Next, I several more questions...

(1) Is it a Sporting Rifle, a Semi-Deluxe Sporting Rifle, a Deluxe Sporting Rifle, or a Saddle Ring Carbine?

(2) Does it have any special order options, or is it a standard feature gun?

(3) Is the serial number <103,322? (if not, it is not a bonafide "Antique").

(4) Why do you suspect that the stocks have been refinished? Are you sure that the entire gun was not refinished?

Lastly, the Blue Book of Gun Values is a poor reference document as it applies to the true values for the older (collectable) Winchester firearms. Very seldom is it ever correct as compared to what the guns sell for at auction, or at most gun shows.

If you can post pictures of the gun, I can better answer some of your questions.
  • Options
    moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Bert.
    I had based my value somewhat on the auctions, I thought I saw a completed auction bid up to 4,000.oo with reserve not met, but now I can't find it. The cal is .38, not rare but the BB says add 25%, it has a five didget ser # so were in the antique section, my guess from earlier photo's put it at 85-90%, which in the new book puts it at about 2800-3200.00 + 25% for a standard antique sporting rifle. One thing that seems odd to me , you pionted out that .44 was the most common cal, yet the blue book say's to add 100%, I don't get that. Anyway my original question was what does refinished wood do the value of a collectable gun?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When using the search function, only check the guns that have actually sold. A gun that did not sell (regardless of what the high bid was) is not a valid indicator of the true value. When a bid is accepted and the gun changes hands, then and only then, is the current value known.

The 5-digit serial does indeed help the value due to it being an "Antique".

The value ranges for the Model 1873 and 1892 do run contrary to caliber production numbers. It is a case of the larger bore (cartridge) being more popular (in demand) even though it is more common. Demand = more $$$$.

As for your question about the refinshed wood... it most definitely reduces the value. How much? Well, that depends upon how evident the refinish is, and how much wood was removed (Winchester made the stocks such that they always stood proud of the steel adjoining surfaces). If the stocks are noticeably undersized, it will knock the collector value in the dirt. If the stocks are the wrong color (usually too light), that too will severely detract from the value. If the stocks have been varnished or similar finish, that hurts the value. If the stocks were skillfully stripped without sanding (removing wood), and were properly refinished with the correct color stain and oil finish, the reduction in the collector value may only be a small percentage. There really is no "set" answer to exactly how much value is lost when an old Winchester has been fooled with... it is up to the potential buyer to decide how it affects his/her offer. Personally, I won't buy a Winchester that has been refinished.