In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SAA grips help

skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I was trying to take off my grips but they won't come off. I loosened the screw in the middle. Are the grips such a tight fit that they have to be pried off? It's nickel and I don't want to scratch anything.
I have a set of Imatation pearl with the Colt medallion. Will they have to be fitted?

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some grips do fit tight! The best method is to loosen the screw, but leave a few threads engaged. With the end of your screwdriver handle (wood, hard rubber, or plastic material) gently tap the head of the screw and the opposite side grip should begin to move outward. Once you get that grip off, you might have to use the handle of the screwdriver again to tap inside the other grip until it begins to move outward. Two piece grips fit over a grip pin in the frame.

There is a good chance your replacement grips will need fitting!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    skychaser53skychaser53 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thx O.C. for the help. I'll give that a try tommorrow and see how that works.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're welcome.

If it's any consolation that's the method I've used to remove 2 piece grips from 1st generation Single Actions for 30+ years. You just have to be patient and tap gently; you don't want to dislodge the brass insert/grommet or crack the grip panel!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    Yes, Old-Colts is correct on the procedure to remove SAA grips.

Regarding the new pearl with the Colt medallion, yep...they will have to be fitted.

If your SAA has a pin that the grip panels fit on to, most likely your new grips are not drilled with the dead-end hole to engage the pin. If they are, chances are that the hole in the grip panel is in the wrong spot and, if they fit on the grip frame at all, the fit will be poor.

You will probably have to drill new grip pin holes, so you'll need to remove the grip frame pin to lay the new panels flat on the frame for proper alignment and marking for the new holes. The grip frame pin is removed by tapping it with a small brass hammer until the min has moved down flush with the grip panel. Then use the right-sized pin punch to push it out. Be careful and don't mar the grip frame with the pin punch. While the pin is out, use it to select the right-sized drill bit. Use a pin vise or a tap holder to carefullly drill the pin holes in the panels by hand. Using of a power tool makes it too easy to drill all the way through the grip panels in error.