In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brennekes in smooth bore?

DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Or rifled slug barrel only?

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    DWS, you are talking about the Brenneke rifled slug? If so they are made for smooth bore barrels. Now if it is the Brenneke Sabot slug then you would need to use a rifled barrel.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Brenneke slug was originally designed for a smooth bore.
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    They make slugs for both smoothbore and rifled barrels. The original design with the fiber wad attached with a screw was all that was available in the mid 60's then when rifled barrels became popular they started offering their new design for rifled barrels. I shot my first deer back in the 60's with a brenneke 16 gauge slug. I was buying them by the case of 500 back then to practice with. Have shot many deer with them over the years. Still use them today. Incredible penetration and bone doesn't stop them. I have experimented with about every slug offered and have yet to find one any better. They were originally designed for Water Buffalo and other dangerous game in Africa. At close range, up to 100 yards, I can't think of anything else that would be more powerful and deadly than the Brenneke slug besides maybe a military 50 caliber. If I had to protect myself from a large Bear in the brush I would want a semi-auto 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke. I practice with them at 50 and 100 yards for accuracy. One shot kills! You can't go wrong with the Brenneke.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I've shot lots of those in my 58 Remington 12 gauge with no problems other than deer sure don't like it very much.
    The best of any as far as I'm concerned....
  • Options
    rock,roll,n,loadrock,roll,n,load Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Browning A5 loves them, I get 2" 5 shot groups @ 75 yds. Not bad for a 25+ year old gun, (and 45+ guy shooting), smooth bore and open sights.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I was referring to the sabot type. Thanks for your replies!
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Sabots are for rifled barrels only.