In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pen gun defined?

jodividusjodividus Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
when i was at a gun show last month, a guy had what looked like a pen, with a clip for the shirt pocket, and it was black and about six inches long. you unscrewed the middle, and it was about the size of a 44, the othere side was about a 38. It had two springs and he said it would fire a shell out either end. It was nothing like I had seen, is this new, and what kind of paperwork would be required if i saw another one. thanks

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't want to fire either any size 38 or 44 out of a pen sized gun.
    Recoil would probably drive it into your hand and cause serious injury.
    Fire a 22LR or Mag in an NAA sized gun and you will agree recoil is plenty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree on the recoil. I was just trying to find out somehting about this particular type of firearm? If I recall, the clip that goes to the pocket has argus co. on it, but nothing else, except i think a date of 1922. I was wondering if he was asking a fair price, what they actually are called, and a value, and are they still manufactured. i cannot find any info in the internet.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I am not sure on the one you are talking about but here is some info on "pen guns". There are many .22 cal ones out there. There are 2 different types and they are different.

If you have a pen gun that has to be turned in the middle to "fold" the pen and make a "grip". If you have one of these then they are considered "normal" pistols since they have a downward grip.

If you have one that can be fired while still being straight looking like a pen then what you have is an AOW (Any Other Weapon). To own an AOW you have to live in a state that allows them. You will then need to go through a Class 3 dealer who can walk you thought the process.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not heard of any that fire out BOTH ends.
    I would like to see that one.

If it was the size of a 38 or so, it might have been a tear gas pen.
    Or possibly (but probably not) a flare pen.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Argus Mfg of Chicago made tear gas pens. There WERE gas pens that had a cartridge at both ends- fire one, turn it around, fire other. Link to some photos:http://www.fightingknives.info/Default.aspx?tabid=844
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have a Hercules Gas Munitions, Model 35. 38spl. tear gas pen. My dad had it for years. I got it when he passed. There is one Winchester cartrige with it.

What are they worth?

11b6r's link gives a bunch of info on pen guns. More that I found up to now [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now I am intrigued by this. I will be at another show and hopefully the guy will be there. where can I find a value on these type of tear gas projectiles? are they still made? how do you get refills? just another niche that needs to be filled. thanks for all the help also
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I the only one who is scared by the concept of a gun that fires from both ends?

You keep it! [:p][:p]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beantown- just think of it as Evolution in Action! Ref: Ammo- early gas guns COULD load (but not necessarily SAFELY fire) standard pistol ammo. BATF came down on them as being firearms, so most were modified to take a special cartridge (threaded base, screwed into the gun). Did not seem to be a lot of standardization on ammo, each maker had their own- and they are pretty scarce nowadays. Most of these were pre-mace pre-OC spray, and seem to have fallen by the wayside.