In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carriage Gun Only 1 Side Fires

atvguy585atvguy585 Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a side by side carriage gun, 12Ga, and parts are impossible to find so I will have to probably make them. What I want to know is anyone who has had a problem with one where you cock both hammers and they both release but one side fires and the other side doesn't, but it puts a mark in the primer. Put it in the other barrel and it fires [xx(] . Would the problem be the firing pin or the spring or something else?

Any help appreciated, thanks for looking. [:)]

Comments

• Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probably both spring and firing pin. personally i have seen antique firearm dealers at gun shows who have lots of parts for sxs. try visiting all the gunshows that you can possibly go to in your are. you will be surprised! best!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have gone to every one of them this year without luck. But thanks for the info.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    atvguy,

UNLOAD the gun

open the action

manually depress the fireing pins & check to see how far they extend out forward of the breech plate.

if the fireing side is farther out than the non-fireing side, you have a worn or broken pin

if they are the same, look for a weak spring

if the fireing pin is in question, remove both from the gun so you can use the longer one for a pattern to make a replacement.

if the spring is the problem, check to see if your gun smith can re-shape & re-temper

Jim
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Is there a notable difference when cocking the two hammers?
    Weak Hammer spings are usually very noticable on a SXS
    Are the Barrel and receiver still tight. Chambers worn...
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to the above, there may be a buggered up firing pin rebound spring on the bad side. Look for a firing pin retaining setscrew, take out the firing pin and spring if there is one. Inspect all parts and cleanliness of the hole. Use pipe cleaners.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i had one come into my shop with the same problem. everything checked out like the others said to look for. what i found was this. the right side plate was not inletted correctly. it was too deep. tightening the side lock screw caused it to bind just enough to keep it from fireing even though it was striking the primer.
    i shimmed it just a touch and all is well. hope this helps out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys I will look tonight and I will post tomorrow with what I found out.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If possible,swap the right for left firing pins. test fire. Should tell you if it is the firing pin or not. That then would leave the spring as the culprit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hslaterpryce
    If possible,swap the right for left firing pins. test fire. Should tell you if it is the firing pin or not. That then would leave the spring as the culprit.

Thats true.

Why didn't I think of that [:o)]

I knew posting here would help my problems.