In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ishapore 2A1 Bolt opens when Fired!

idtstudentidtstudent Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Thanks for all the help. I sold it for half of what I paid for it.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that your bolt may be incorrectly assembled. Remove it from the rifle & take some photos for us.

Neal
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO NOT shoot .308 Winchester. Your rifle was built to use 7.62 NATO, which has lower pressures than the .308. While exterior dimensions of the brass are very close or identical, they are not loaded the same.

Some will disagree, and maybe you can get away with it. Question is- for how long? As Dirty Harry said- "You have to ask yourself- Do I feel lucky? Well.... do ya?" Just because it fits does not mean safe to shoot.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your photos are not good enough for me to diagnose your problem. I need to see the bolt head IN FOCUS, as well as the breech face of the barrel.

The bolt should be held in battery by the lip of the bolt head being held under the rail on the right side of the receiver, AND the extractor fitting in the extractor groove of the receiver. I'm guessing that either the bolt head lip is worn, or the receiver rail is damaged, or both.

It also appears that someone relieved the top edge of the receiver extractor cut, which, if so, makes your rifle eligible for the organ donor program. But, I just can't tell from the side view alone.

Replacing a bolt &/or bolt head requires that the headspace be checked, which is a job for a gunsmith with the proper gauges. If the headspace is out of spec, correcting that condition is also a job for your gunsmith.

You are correct, your rifle should not be fired again without being repaired by someone WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. If you are religious, now is the time to get down on your knees; a rifle that fires out of battery is HIGHLY LIKELY to injure or kill you.

Neal