In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Glock AR Platform

MCGAMCGA Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
A buddy was telling me that Glock will be coming out with an AR platform rifle in about a 1 1/2 years. Anyone have any info regarding this or any photos of what it may look like. I am assuming it will be a piston AR. is this right?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I think this has been a rumor for a long time. I have yet to see a pic. My question is why? What is going to be sooooooo amazing about yet another AR with the same features as any other AR out there probably built buy a 3rd party anyhow and stamped Glock?

As for Glock platform AR's I basically have the only one I am interested in already. The base gun is made by Olympic Arms. Suppressed 9mm AR that uses Glock mags to go with my suppressed G34,

DSC_0010.jpg

HEY bean. Is that a properly registered SBR? [:D][:D][:D]

quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Yeah it looks like this:

glockmount.jpg

[:D]

Ok. . .maybe not.

quote:Originally posted by drobs

Nwcid,

You should register the Glock as a SBR and put a shoulder stock on it. [:o)][8D][8D]

I used one of these on a FA Glock 17. It was nice!

No SBR in my state or the ATF would have another couple k of my money [B)]

Got to shoot a Beretta 93 (full auto) once, it was pretty cool. Would love to shoot a FA Glock.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah it looks like this:

glockmount.jpg

Ok. . .maybe not.

A bit more seriously, I haven't heard anything about Glock entering the longarm market, and I can think of a few business reasons for them NOT to enter the extremely competitive AR market.

So I'll believe this when I hear more than a poorly sourced rumor.
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MCGA
    A buddy was telling me that Glock will be coming out with an AR platform rifle in about a 1 1/2 years. Anyone have any info regarding this or any photos of what it may look like. I am assuming it will be a piston AR. is this right?

Umm There is not a lot of point to a Glock AR. Nor Do I think they will be coming out with a Glock AR platform.
    If you want a glock platform carbine, just order an upper from Mechtec.
    http://www.mechtechsys.com/
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I think this has been a rumor for a long time. I have yet to see a pic. My question is why? What is going to be sooooooo amazing about yet another AR with the same features as any other AR out there probably built buy a 3rd party anyhow and stamped Glock?

As for Glock platform AR's I basically have the only one I am interested in already. The base gun is made by Olympic Arms. Suppressed 9mm AR that uses Glock mags to go with my suppressed G34,

DSC_0010.jpg

Yeah it looks like this:

glockmount.jpg

Ok. . .maybe not.

Nwcid,

You should register the Glock as a SBR and put a shoulder stock on it. [:o)][8D][8D]

GLR17_full.jpg
    http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=*&Product_Code=GLR17_440&Category_Code=_stks

quote:Originally posted by shilowar

and the select fire Glock is a Glock 18, not 17....and it is alot of fun to shoot, would be even more fun with that stock on it...needs to be belt fed!!!

The Glock 18 is a Factory full auto Glock. Many 17's (and other models) have been converted by SOT's (legally) as they are cheeper and easier to get ahold of.

+1 I shot a FA G17 with the Mako stock that had a drop in selector on the back of the slide. I loved it! Would love to own one.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

glockmount.jpg

Hmm. . .that's an interesting point.

I don't think you need to register it for military use (which is presumeably the point).

But for domestic civilian use, I suppose if you mounted a live pistol to a live rifle, the BATFE would consider it a stocked pistol and require the appropriate paperwork and registration.

Personally, I think the whole idea is sort of cuckoo. The point of the pistol is that its a backup to your rifle. Why would you want to link them together? I don't see any easy way to regulate point of impact so that the pistol shoots where your rifle sights point. If your rifle went down, wouldn't you want the pistol to be separate?

GLR17_full.jpg

For what its worth the Glock rifle-attachment pistol vertical grip is an Israeli design, as is the polymer Glock stock image you've referenced above.

As opposed to mounting a live pistol on your rifle, just putting a stock on the Glock makes perfect sense to me, turning a pistol into a light and convenient carbine. (And even better if you can have long mags and select fire. . .now you've got a Glock submachine gun).

In Israel, the transportation security/police actually carry Glocks with these stocks attached as issue weapons.

By the way, to expand on my earlier answer, the market is totally saturated with AR-15s right now. Every maker has one, including probably half a dozen makers that you've never heard of.

So why should Glock step into this hypercompetitive market? What niche is Glock going to fill that isn't already being filled? Rolling out a new product and marketing it is expensive. How is Glocks' product going to be better or different than the other 30 brands out there?

Putting out a bad or non-competitive product could potentially hurt Glocks brand, which I'd argue (after spending untold millions developing it), is actually Glock's most valuable asset.

Unless they can put out something entirely revolutionary (which by definition they can't if they want it to be an AR-15), they'd just be diluting their brand.

So this doesn't make sense.

Now, lets suppose they "Glockified" an AR-15. By that, I mean they came up with an AR-15 with a functional polymer receiver and a safety-less receiver. Who'd buy one? There are already carbon fiber receiver AR-15s on the market, and they're not tremendously popular. AR-15s are already pretty light with the aluminum receivers. On triggers, one of the best features of an AR-15 is the clean trigger break. Why replace that with a mushy Glock or other double-action type trigger?
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

DSC_0010.jpg

Yeah it looks like this:

glockmount.jpg

Ok. . .maybe not.

Nwcid,

No SBR in my state or the ATF would have another couple k of my money [B)]

Got to shoot a Beretta 93 (full auto) once, it was pretty cool. Would love to shoot a FA Glock.

Nwcid PLEASE STOP POSTING PICS [:D][:D]
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    It would be interesting if it was made of plastics or carbon fiber like carbon-15s... I have always like the looks and feel of the carbon-15.

Shilo,

I really want a belt fed 5.56 AR-15 upper, but the only company that made em went bust before they had sold 1500 units, so, I am SOL on that front for now.

There are conversion kits for the 17,19, that makes them selectfire.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Carbon 15 has been a fantastic rifle...it requires ZERO lubrication and its been through 2 UPR Schools...Colts were malfunctioning, and my Carbon 15 kept on eating....I've put probably 8000 rounds through mine with very little if any noticeable wear to the carbon fiber receiver.

plus its only 4.5 lbs empty

and the select fire Glock is a Glock 18, not 17....and it is alot of fun to shoot, would be even more fun with that stock on it...needs to be belt fed!!!
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

The Glock 18 is a Factory full auto Glock. Many 17's (and other models) have been converted by SOT's (legally) as they are cheeper and easier to get ahold of.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Talked to Chris from Glock today at our yearly match. All he would tell me is that something is in the works for a rifle. Asked if it would be along the lines of the new FN SCAR and he just grined.