In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rare singleactions Help!

ssilverssilver Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
My father Ed "Texie" Holle was a gunsmith for the Great Western Firearms. In the late 50's he used their machinery to make 6 of his own revolvers in .22 cal. The guns were all full size polished aluminum weighing about 2 lbs. each with no bbl. or cyl. sleevs. Some had the colt style fixed fireing pin others with the G W floating fireing pin. The guns have no mfg. markings in fact they may have NO markings at all. I have the first two he made & as I remember he did not put serial numbers on them untill required in 1968. I have been looking for the other 4 for some 40 years. He could have sold of traded them anywhere between California & Tennesee. Any help would be most appreciated.

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being aluminum, they must have been great for twirling and other fancy gun handling.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some found their way to Hollywood.
    Quick draw and fancy handling was a craze in those days, especially in Hollywood.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wasn't Ed "Texie" Holle a Country-Western singer in the 1940's and 50's?

Anyway, could you please post some pics of your revolvers? It might help people identify the ones you're looking for.
  • ssilverssilver Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hollywood is a very real possibility, he knew many Hollywood types & did get involved in the movie industry. We actually lived on the western main street at the Corriganville movie ranch.
    edited November -1
    Right again, he played the Grand Ole Opera had a program on live raido in St. Louis Made a few recordings on the 4 Star label in Calif. (just found 2 of his records). I think his records are even rarer than the guns. It only took me 41 years to find them. Yes I'll have the wife take some pics. and post them. Good to here someone remembers him! thanx Len
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ssilver
    Hollywood is a very real possibility, he knew many Hollywood types & did get involved in the movie industry. We actually lived on the western main street at the Corriganville movie ranch.

Yep, he's the same one. He was foreman at Corriganville Movie Ranch and did a couple of vocals with Smokey Rogers such as How Lonely Can You Get? and Goin' Down The Road

We'd really like to see your guns. This link will show you how to post pics:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
    edited November -1
    Your memory is 100% workin on the pix. The guns will look exactly like a full size Colt with 4 3/4" bbls.
    edited November -1
    Your memory is 100% workin on the pix. The guns will look exactly like a full size Colt with 4 3/4" bbls.

Are there any special markings or unique features that might possibly identify them? Someone may have one and not have a clue as to who made them.

Looking forward to the pics!

SSILVER - PLEASE NOTE: Threads in this forum are locked after 10 replies and we are now at 9 which is why I'm editing this posting. If it gets locked, just start a new one. Thanks!
    edited November -1
    The only markings could be on the frame in front of the trigger guard where the sn should be. Mine are marked XP 1 and XP 2 I believe the others were traded off before 68 when numbers became mandatory they may or may not be numbered. I was in the USAF at that time so I'm not sure.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Signin' on so I can follow this saga. Can't wait for the pictures.
    edited November -1
    Thanx for all the interest. Last night I worked on getting pics. Having trouble, just bought this puter & camera. I got a pic. the darn thing and managed to send it in a email but posting to the site is going to take more study. I would be happy to email the pic to anyone interested, just give me an address.
    Thanx again, be patient, I'm workin on it[:D]
    Len
    edited November -1
    Thanx for all the interest. Last night I worked on getting pics. Having trouble, just bought this puter & camera. I got a pic. the darn thing and managed to send it in a email but posting to the site is going to take more study. I would be happy to email the pic to anyone interested, just give me an address.
    Thanx again, be patient, I'm workin on it[:D]
    Len

I posted the link above which will show you how to upload pics. You need to upload them to a different website that hosts pictures (like photobucket.com) and post the link to your album in here. You can not upload them directly to this forum.

As this thread will be locked due to the number of replies, please start a new thread.