In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primers

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
What is the big deal with primers? You drop the hammer and they go BANG. Why are Eley better than others? Any difference in function with rim or center fire?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Have been using CCI 200 Large Rifle primers, WantTo switch to Winchester LargeRifle 8 1/2 any difference in size and preformance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can somebody share their experience please? I am wanting to work up a load in 300 Win Mag to shoot in a Sendero, and am wondering if the bench rest primers are enough better to warrant the extra cost. In the past, I always grabbed CCI or whatever I had around and worked up a load. Now this wrinkle has come up and I wonder if the br primers really are better or is it just sales hype. Please share your experience. PS this is primarily for target shooting purposes.Thanks for any insight you might offer.
    1 Cross + 3 Nails= 4given
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I mistakenly bought small rifle magnum primers instead of small pistol primers. I loaded 100 38 caliber and went out and shot them. I did not feel or see any difference between the small rifle magnum and the other bulletts loaded with regular small pistol primers.

Am I going to get in trouble using these primers?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a Lee Auto Prime. In the instructions, it says to not use any Federal primers. Do any of you use the Lee Auto Prime? What primers do you use? Has anyone had any trouble with Federal primers?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a good one for you.
    I have always been taught as a rule of thumb, if a primer is chrome colored
    the round is reloaded.
    If the primer is brass colored the round is a factory round.

Now I have run into a box of Winchester Super - X in 303 Savage.
    The primers are chrome colored not brass colored.
    It seems to be in all in tense and purpose a factory box. Now I have seen other
    assumed factory loads of other calibers listed on the auction side with chrome colored primers.
    So would this possibly be factory loaded ammo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between regular primers and magnum primers and can you enterchange them safely would like any kind of help on this I can get. Thanks Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have alot of (about 50,000) primers, from small pistol to large rifle) some are older but I have never had a single problem and alot are newer. Is it hard to ship these if I put them on here and sell them? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some federal 215 magnum primers, can I use these safely in my 270 and 243 Thanks Kumate jr
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me if Winchester ever used silver primers in their .356 ammo? I thought they always used brass primers.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some boxer primers are more sensitive then others due to the priming compound and the thickness of the metal used in the primer "cup". This varies considerably. Most firearms it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference. In certain firearms it could cause a fatal accident if you reload a cartridge with a sensitive commercial primer, in a ex military semi-auto rifle that is subject to "Slamfires".

Also some pistols have a striker fired mechanism rather then a hammer and conventional firing pin. If these handguns are used with insensitive primers they are subject to misfires.