In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rikard Belgian Hammer Double Shotgun

ta812002ta812002 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I am looking for anyone who might have some information about an old Double barrel shotgun that I have.
I actually have it up on Gunbroker now.
It was sold to me as Pre-1898.
It is marked on both side plates "RIKARD".
The top rib is marked "Twist Finish Belgium".
It is also marked Belgium on the inside of the receiver where the proof marks and serial numbers are.
Serial numbers on all parts match.

Any information as to Manufacturer, actual age range, value, etc...
Anything I can find out would be helpful. I cannot seem to find anything on-line.
And no, it is not a "Richard" it is "Rikard".

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Damascus barreled Belgian made hammer guns were imported and sold in the States. This was between the early 1890's, to the start of the First World War in 1914, when Germany invaded and occupied Belgium.

Almost all were inexpensive utility grade guns, that have little collector value other then as wall hangers. This is because of their being not safe to fire with modern high pressure ammo. The names on them are meaningless, as they would put any name on them that the U.S. importer/distributor requested. Many of the names were in fact spurious to give the potential buyer the impression that they were obtaining a much better quality English made gun.
  • ta812002ta812002 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did find that Cresant Arms Co. (which made a laundry list of Hardware store guns), had a line called "Rickard Arms Co."
    Mine is "Rikard" oddly similar in name, but when looking at the cresant made gun, it is different in construction and design.

I don't doubt that this gun does not have much value.
    Just looking for any information at all.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ta812002
    I did find that Cresant Arms Co. (which made a laundry list of Hardware store guns), had a line called "Rickard Arms Co."
    Mine is "Rikard" oddly similar in name, but when looking at the cresant made gun, it is different in construction and design.

I don't doubt that this gun does not have much value.
    Just looking for any information at all.

Many of these shotguns, were what were called "Store Brand" guns. They were made to be sold by a specific retailer who specified the name he wanted to be stamped on the gun. It's possible that the hardware store who sold these guns, imported Rikard marked guns from Belgium as well as buying them from Crescent Arms.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    In my reference book, I have listings for eleven shotguns with the name RICHARDS something or other. Almost half of them were made in Belgium.I have one listing for the name Rickards Arms Co that was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1931) for and was sold by the J.A. Rickard Company of Schenectady. NY.