In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blue Wonder?

hunter7198hunter7198 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Any experiences with Blue Wonder? Want to DIY re-blue a couple guns without the trouble and expense of hot blueing. After watching the BW video can't help but consider it.

Comments

• Options
    hunter7198hunter7198 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever use this product to finish a gun? Any comments? Pictures?
  • Options
    huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Blue Wonder a number of times to cold blue new barrels with good success. Mixed results with it on receivers. Prep the metal properly and follow the instructions for applying it and you'll probably have decent results. Last barrel I did with it was an A&B barrel in the white that I'd had a gunsmith install. A week or so later, took the rifle back to gunsmith to ask him something about the rifle. As he held rifle, he is looking at barrel I'd used Blue Wonder on and he quizzically asked me if the barrel was already blued before he installed it. I had to chuckle and tell him I'd used Blue Wonder on it, that his memory is not failing (gunsmith is on elderly side). He smiled and commented it looked pretty good. If I want to cold blue a rifle, I'll use either Blue Wonder or Brownell's Oxpho Blue
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No cold blue will do a proper bluing job on a complete gun.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Great stuff if follow directions must be cleaned of ALL oils then use rubber gloves and heat as HOT as you can hold it. Will not take the place of HOT BLUING but MUCH better then any other cold blue and does not smell like other cold blue even years later. r