In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

DIY Camo Dip Kit

paddinpaddin Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Looking for some feedback on this - www.camodipkit.com - seems like a good idea - just wondering if anyone here has done it and has first hand opinions on it.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Is this a legitimate request for information, or is it free advertising?

If it is the former, there is no problem.

If it is the latter, please contact Gunbroker about advertising on the site.

http://exchange.gunbroker.com/info.asp

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/Affiliate.aspx

If you are in any way connected to site you referenced, please contact Gunbroker at the above links about advertising.

Please respond to this post, or to the email I sent you. I will leave your link alone for a while, and see if you respond.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I read about this in Field and Stream and my buddy said this was the best place to ask. Thanks for replying
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK. So this is a request for information. Thanks for clarifying, and please excuse my suspicious nature. Comes with the job, I reckon.

So...Have any of you used such a product, and can you help paddin out with some information?

I am going to move this to Ask The Experts, which is a more appropriate forum for this request.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by paddin
    anyone?

Looks like you could be the first! Looks neat, I don't have a reason to use it though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like no one has used this product. Is it cheap? If so, and I were inclined to use it, I might try it out first on something I didn't care about. Maybe do a crowbar or something and see how it comes out and whether it is easy to use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $99 for a kit - comes with 20 square feet of film, so you could turn quite a bit of stuff camo.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Looks like no one has used this product. Is it cheap? If so, and I were inclined to use it, I might try it out first on something I didn't care about. Maybe do a crowbar or something and see how it comes out and whether it is easy to use.

A crowbar? Nah. . .then you'd put it down somewhere and never be able to find it again! [;)]

If you're going to test it on something, I'd suggest at least testing it on something you'd actually WANT to be camo, so if it turned out OK (or even not so OK), you'd have gotten your money's worth.

For what its supposed to do (ie put a nice photographic-quality camo film on just about anything including weirdly-shaped things), I think the price is actually pretty reasonable. But in terms of overall costs, at $100 per kit, I'd say this stuff isn't cheap enough for disposable testing.

The kit comes with 20 square feet of film, but you have to realize that the dipping process wastes a lot of it, so you're not going to be able to get nearly that much in terms of coverage.

I have never tried the process myself, so I can't comment on the coating durability, but its based on hydrographing, and that technique is used for professional print finishing. I think it should be OK.

Here's a sort of pro version featured on ESPN, for another look:

http://www.camoent.com/process.htm

Note that the pro here does fairly extensive prepping of the surface to be dipped including scuffing it up and priming it before going to the film coating.
  • Options
    tigguytigguy Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought 2 kits with different patterns and they do an excellent job if you follow the instructions and do the proper prep work. I have one in TimbersEdge XD and one in GC EarlySeason. I coated 2 of my guns, one per pattern. One of them I didn't clearcoat so I could test out how much abuse it'd take and it's held up extremely well for the beatdown it's gotten. Steady hands and planning ahead a few steps is mandatory because of some time limits but I think it's worked great for being a d-i-y kit and for a non-pro like me. Great advice about trying it out on something low dollar before stepping up to a firearm! It can be removed if you mess up though.