In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

continuation of colt 1917 Da revolver Topic locked

JESJES Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
My daughter is uploading more pics of the frame below the grips. file located at photobucket jackgunspics Us revolver FWIW there is some lettering also says US Army with what appears to be #100

The gun is a big DA ,45 and no I have not tried .45 colt ammo but will tomorrow if the topic is unlocked by whoever locked it I will check back tomorrow

Thanks Guys for all the info.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ask the expert questions get locked at TEN replies or as soon as Moderator gets back to topic.You did the correct thing by reopen if you still have questions.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Bottom photo..the one with your daughter holding the gun (pretty hands), can you take a glass to the faint numbers below the lanyard ring plug? If you can make them out at all, that's the SerNo of the gun. The inscription above the plugged area reads:
    US
    ARMY
    MODEL
    Best, Joe

45coltslidefireAr-15makingafeedramp044.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

DSC02103.jpg
  • JESJES Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    She is uploading more concise pics of all markings on the gun as we speak. she has left for work but her computer froze at 98% upload but she left it running. I will go get the gun but pics will soon be uploaded I hope. macro vies of 34 pics I think of all we discussed on last topic

It looks like NO

Lanyeard ring was not cut off I see a screw inside the butt frame going thru to the plug on the bottom. It was removed not cut off. It also will not chamber a 45 colt round at least in the cylinder The No 1 is very plain the 00 underneath it might be something else like a D? something hard to see with naked eyes

Thanks

Jack
    edited November -1
    The last pic was uploaded today at about 5pm. The best I can see even with macro is the No 1 under that is a very clear zero 0 next to that is what is a 3. It is so fine I can't even trace an outline with a pencil. Just a vision and a billionth of an inch deep.

So that being said I have a Big No

So is the the original serial # 103?

After all the imput i am still clueless except somebody in WWII pluged the lanyard hole cause there is an old screw going thru the but top to pug at bottom. Was not cut off. I got a gun with 3 serial #s. It is a US Army frame 1917. The number 03 appears under the serial numbers in front of the open cylinder and on the gun. 168xx # appears on underside of barrel. Gun was reblued after WWI. Grips were changed in the 60's although the hunt is on for them. I will never find em but worth trying. the barrel is exactly 5 1/2 inchs long but darn, the gun is bigger that my 44 magnum seems like

So after going to three expert boards with this being the last. Can someone concisely so i cn print it out tell me what I got after reviewing all the stampings on photobucket? and what they mean. Looking in Flayderman's, it would appear there were a lot of variations and as we all know a lot of battlefield put togethers though not so much with revolvers but apparently the armorers were kept busy in them days.

thanks alot for everyones input. I would love to find the last armorer who put his hands on it.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what the marking on the butt of a factory original Colt Model 1917 should look like. Yours are degraded, because when it was commercially reblued the guy who was doing the polishing was way to heavy handed.

When the U.S. government had the Colts refurbished in their arsenals during World War II, they were Parkerized rather then blued with a absolute minimum of polishing. The markings wouldn't be as degraded as the ones on your revolver.

You can spin it any way you want to, but to a collector of military handguns your Colt has been commercially reblued. This along with the missing grips, lanyard ring and pitting would have a negative effect on it collectors value, putting it in the shooter category.

EDIT #1, The number on the butt of the revolver is the legal serial number, not the number inside the crane when the cylinder is opened. The feds take a dim view of guns with defaced serial numbers. If yours aren't totally visible this might cause you some problems in the future, if a legal transfer/sale is made through a Federal Firearms licensed dealer.

usarev30.jpg
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the additional photos you uploaded to your album, it appears that the serial number is probably 7103_. As you were told, your gun can never pass through the hands of a Federal Firearms Licensee, due to the partial removal of the serial number.

The S19 (with the eagle's head above it) is an Ordnance inspection mark, from the 1918-1919 period.

The numbers under the grip are factory inspector marks.

The GT on the frame was added by Bubba with a electric engraver.

You've already been told that your gun has been commercially refinished by someone with less than optimal skill. There's nothing else that anyone can tell you.

Neal
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JES
    The last pic was uploaded today at about 5pm. The best I can see even with macro is the No 1 under that is a very clear zero 0 next to that is what is a 3. It is so fine I can't even trace an outline with a pencil. Just a vision and a billionth of an inch deep.

So that being said I have a Big No

So is the the original serial # 103?

After all the imput i am still clueless except somebody in WWII pluged the lanyard hole cause there is an old screw going thru the but top to pug at bottom. Was not cut off. I got a gun with 3 serial #s. It is a US Army frame 1917. The number 03 appears under the serial numbers in front of the open cylinder and on the gun. 168xx # appears on underside of barrel. Gun was reblued after WWI. Grips were changed in the 60's although the hunt is on for them. I will never find em but worth trying. the barrel is exactly 5 1/2 inchs long but darn, the gun is bigger that my 44 magnum seems like

So after going to three expert boards with this being the last. Can someone concisely so i cn print it out tell me what I got after reviewing all the stampings on photobucket? and what they mean. Looking in Flayderman's, it would appear there were a lot of variations and as we all know a lot of battlefield put togethers though not so much with revolvers but apparently the armorers were kept busy in them days.

thanks alot for everyones input. I would love to find the last armorer who put his hands on it.

If the serial number were 103 the 45 ACP chambers would be drilled all the way through - is there a shoulder in each 45 ACP chamber?

My opinion is that you have a reblued Colt 1917, someone removed the lanyard loop and plugged the hole. The serial number is (was) on the butt, the numbers on the crane are parts or assembly numbers, mine has the same set up.

That the gun was made before serial numbers were required and defaced before (that would be my timetable ....[;)]) serial numbers were required may have an impact on the whole "illegal and can't be sold" issue. Guns without serial numbers are sold all the time, guns with serial numbers that have been altered is a different spin.

I would say it's probably a $300.00 shooter and will be around and working long after we're all gone.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. The cylinders are not drilled all the way thru. I went to visit my father today and he said the grips were cracked and he replaced them. He said he had them until we moved from where I was raised to another spot my grandfather bought for us. That was when I was 12 and they never got moved with us. I am 55 now and oldest brother is 62. Dad is adamant that the gun was never reblued and that is how it was issued. He was a CPO on a ship.

There have been a lot of what appears mean spiritness from some GB senior members especially from one who quoted bubba and an electric engraver. You should believe there are some people out here that tell the truth You DF have been a true gentleman. I don't care what the value is of the gun really. I know it was Dads and he carried it with him while protecting some of the senior members who only read about the war. While it is said this gun is worth less than a Taurus 357 magnum is really hitting below the belt. IT is what it is. My father taught me family is more valuble than money and I have carried that on wtih my 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. We don't lie , steal, we work hard for what little we got and we always have helped the less fortunate. We are religious people too and if that don't say it all then theres no more to be said. When you were in that foxhole who did you think of first, yup God to get you home safe to your family. Thanks all Jack
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jack, You are fortunate to have been raised in a family with the same values as my family held, that I was taught and try to practice.

The 1917 Colt is priceless to you but the market value is an entirely different matter. The question is, who would want the revolver and for what purpose. In original, unmodified condition it would be very valuable to a collector. Unfortunately, original and unmodified does not describe your pistol. It will be of very little interest to a collector but will have a value as a shooter. A person wanting a shooter would value your gun in comparison to a gun in a similar caliber. Hearing that the gun would be worth less than a Taurus may be offensive to you but is probably accurate in setting market value.

I am glad to have you on the forum. I hope the comments that bothered you do not drive you away.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JES
    1.Dad is adamant that the gun was never reblued and that is how it was issued. He was a CPO on a ship.

There have been a lot of what appears mean spiritness from some GB senior members especially from one who quoted bubba and an 2.electric engraver. You should believe there are some people out here that tell the truth You DF have been a true gentleman. I don't care what the value is of the gun really. I know it was Dads and he carried it with him while protecting some of the senior members who only read about the war. 3.While it is said this gun is worth less than a Taurus 357 magnum is really hitting below the belt. IT is what it is. My father taught me family is more valuble than money and I have carried that on wtih my 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. We don't lie , steal, we work hard for what little we got and we always have helped the less fortunate. We are religious people too and if that don't say it all then theres no more to be said. When you were in that foxhole who did you think of first, yup God to get you home safe to your family. Thanks all Jack

Some of us come off as gruff. However, if you'd care to do so, (check the archives), this experts forum is not known to pass innacurate data. So, and with that said..

1. By giving the benefit of the doubt, I'll concede that the firearm was done by a Navy Gunners' Mate, and was completely overzealous in his application of the buffing wheel (he made it look purdy..). Not the norm for military arms reconditioning. Way too much time spent on one unit, when hundreds are awaiting inspection/repair.

2. From my vantage point, the markings look like an electro-pencil scribing. Could the Navy have used such? I haven't seen any prior examples.

3. I feel for you. However, the price remains. We're not in the 'feel good' business. Only accurate reporting (to the best of our ability) based on prior sales of firearms in similar condition. Buyers (if ever sold) will be looking at a Colt M1917 that shows evidence of non-military work to the finish.

Best, Joe
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I think the marking some thought to be a GT is in fact what is left of the rampant Colt after the buffing wheel.

JES, In this forum when a question is asked 90% of the answers are based on facts on not on word of mouth or second hand information passed down 4 times.
    The facts presented are the gun has been redone.Not by your dad but by someone before him. It is a shooter value gun that hold priceless semtimental value and you should view it this way.