In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WW2 45 survival round

MMMarvisMMMarvis Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Back in the 80's i saw something about a buck n ball 45 round.
Like 9 shot,410 wad, caped with a 00 buck crimped it all in.
Even made with cut down 06, 7.62 blanks.
Not the m15 round.

Was suppose to help get game with a 45 for survival.

Am i remembering correctly, and if so what would be needed to make them?

thanks

That sounds like it, I don't remember the hot glue.
Suppose to have been issued to airmen when shot down.
#9 for birds and such, Buck for bigger stuff.
And fed perfect in SMG's
Seems there was a trim die for this, I bought the wrong one LOL.
Looked for a wile to find the set, then it drifted away.
Just found my 1st un crimped experiment.
But 410 wad.

Seems a good use for blank 7.62's

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember them too, saw them for sale at gun shows.
    Sorry I can't help beyond confirming your memory.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    possible made to sell at shows..i have seen rounds that had a red paper looking bullet filled with shot..i have some VN era that have a paper wad load
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I made a number of these rounds I believe the American Rifleman had the recipe on the 308 Cut down and then Necked down so the Contour would look like the Silhouette of a loaded 230 grain Ball round I formed the neck with another sizing die like a 30/30 or something Remember you must make the over all case short enough to get out of the Ejection port and also load into a magazine. I used a plastic over powder wad cut from milk jug and also over case mouth sealed with hot glue stick and the case mouth also rolled inward slightly to help feeding. They worked well but a PITA to make and load. The military did make some Shot loads. but these go for big $$$

EDIT the plastic and hot glue was my Idea. not the original recipe . I had some punches made to make auto engine gaskets and can't remember if I use 3/8 inch punch or 7/16 inch . I did a lot of testing and experimenting. Final results made me think a lot of time spent and during that time I had become a fairly good target shooter, so I Just shoot them in the eye and you don't lose much meat and don't bite down on shot LOL.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I don't recall the manufacturer, but prior to WWII there were .45 ACP shothells marketed for riot control use out of the Thompson SMG.