In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin Nagant Sniper?

TominnoTominno Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking about purchasing one of the Mosin Nagant 91/30 sniper rifles offered by Classics Arms. The rifle is advertised as having a PU scope and mount. Does anyone know if the snipers offered by Classic Arms are originals issue or recent cobbled guns? I want to do a little research before contacting them. Thanks, Tominno

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe everything you're likely to find at Classic Arms and the other surplus dealers are "re-aresenalled" older guns, meaning the guns have been refinished at the factory, then re-issued for commercial sale. In some cases, individual guns have been put together from parts, and serial numbers won't match.

The scopes and mounts are modern built to WWII specs, not original WWII era equipment.

You can expect a nice-looking gun, but bore quality is a crap shoot. Many/most of these will have dark or pitted bores from use with corrosive ammo.

If you call Classic arms, I think they'll be happy to tell you exactly what they have to offer you.
  • Options
    magicmanml2magicmanml2 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mosinnagant.com has an section that shows the markings on the recievers and what they mean. If it was a sniper originally, it should have CN stamped on the reciever according to the website. also has pictures as well. If u can get a pic of the top of the reciever and serial number you find anything out about that reciever itself. But like posted above, could be a reasembled gun. On my 91/30, i have a dragoon hex reciever and a standard barrel.