In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Colt information

Blu MaxBlu Max Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Colt revolver. 6" blued barrel, 6 shot .38 large frame with open notch rear sight milled into the top strap, half moon rounded fixed front sight. Checked hard rubber grips.

Top of barrel says "Colt's P T P A MFG. CO HARTFORD, CT USA PATENTED AUG. 5, 1884 NOV. 6, 88, MAR. 5, 95"

The left side of the barrel just in front of the swing out cylinder says " COLT D.A. 38"

The butt says "S P F C 39" Serial number on butt is 253 303. Cylinder release has K 6589

No lanyard ring or place for one.

It looks to me like a Colt New Shooting Master with a front sight like a Colt Navy/Marine Model 1905.

I would very much appreciate any help on identifying this gun.

Thank you in advance!

Blumax

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe from the patent dates and serial number, your revolver is a late production, civilian version of the Colt "New Army & Navy Model". It probably dates to the early 1900's, and was originally chambered for the .38 Long Colt cartridge, not the .38 Special.