In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 MAGNUM STEEL JACKET AMMO QUESTION

99459945 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
A friend just came back from a farm auction today and said he saw a box of 22 mag steel jacket ammo sold...thinks it was Winchester ammo ( had a big X on the box).
Question is: Has anyone ever heard of this type of ammo in 22 mag?
I never knew anyone ever made this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    22 Long rifle is for the most part either plain lead "grey in color" or Copper WASH/Plated 22 Mag is more like most rifle hunting ammo it has a Copper / Brass color separate jacket over the lead core. .IT IS NOT STEEL
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several commercial varieties of full metal jacketed .22 magnum ammo (Winchester, Federal, and CCI all have them), but so far as I know, all of them use copper or copper alloy (brass) jackets, not steel.

Note that some brass alloys can look silvery, like steel, and maybe that's what your friend saw.

4941.jpg

As a point of interest, during the cold war, supposedly the US military issued thick jacketed .22LR ammo to US pilots for use in survival weapons (pistols and takedown rifles) so that the ammo would also be compliant with the Hague convention rules that prohibit military use of expanding ammo. But so far as I know, nobody is making full jacketed .22LR ammo nowadays.

Edit: I've never heard of, nor seen any steel-jacketed .22 magnum ammo, and I'm pretty sure nobody is making any right now. That's about all I can say on this.

Have your friend go back and buy the box, then tell us what he found!

Assuming steel jacketed .22 magnum existed, I wouldn't expect any different performance than the typical copper/brass jacket stuff.
  • Options
    99459945 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend said, this was older ammo, AND the box said, "steel jacket".....h e also said, the ammo had a copper looking wash over the "steel".
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably not steel jacketed ammo unless Wolf is now making .22 Mag. If he encounters it again have him take a magnet with him, the magnet test will answer the question. My guess is it was ammo that just "looked" like steel jacketed.
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under Wikipedia, 22 long rifle, a full metal jacket round was developoed during WW2 for for the suppressed High Standard HDM. No other infor was listed. Another rabbit hole to go down and look for info on.
    Edit: Upon looking for that ammo your friend passed up on very rare ammo.