In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More on Winchester 1892 DOM

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have removed the forearm and find the following marks on the bottom flat: Nearest the receiver ring a single punch mark; next an inverted "A"; next the numeral "3"; next an "L";; then "W.C.F."; then about an inch and a half forward of that is the Winchester WP in an oval;and finally about an inch and a half further toward the muzzle is a small punch that looks like a star. Based on the info from Bert, I am guessing that this indicates a barrel from after 1905, but am confused about how it would be proofed without being in a receiver - swap-out? Next question is, would this indicate a nitro-proofing? If so, would it be safe to fire mild (pistol level) smokeless loads through it? If it is just a shooter I would rather use smokeless than boil a lot of water.

Thanks, Bob.
TIA
Bert, I hope the attempt to send you a photo worked, if not please let me know and I will retry. Have small problem with the old addage - You have to be smarter than the machine you are trying to run - Brian

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=523124

So everyone knows what you're talkin' about..[8D]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you post (or send me) close-up pictures of the markings on the barrel?

In regards to smokeless powder, Yes, you can safely use it with no concerns. The Model 1892 is a very stout action, and it can easily handle loads significantly stouter than "pistol" loads. Winchester specifically developed the "W.H.V." (Winchester High Velocity) cartridge load for the Model 1892.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Bert, I hope the attempt to send you a photo worked, if not please let me know and I will retry. Have small problem with the old addage - You have to be smarter than the machine you are trying to run - Brian

I have not received anything yet... please try sending them directly to me at Win1885@msn.com