In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R .32 Long 2.5" BBL Blue

37Andy37Andy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Serial Number AR96868. I just bought this and was wondering what info as to date of manfacture, etc. was available on this little jewel. Thanks for any info I can get.

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely a Model 732 (733 if Nickel plated) although it could be a 632 or 832. I'll guess it is the 732 - 'AR' prefix indicates production in 1977. Model was in production from c.1959 to 1986. Apparently a very popular gun as many of them show up in the market place. Was also made with a square butt and a 4" barrel - but the 2 1/2" round butt seems to be the most popular by about 15 to 1. Sturdy little buggers. I've shot a couple of them, from my H&R Collection, over the years and found them to be reasonably accurate at 25FEET. I even carried one in my console as a car gun for awhile.
    Current RETAIL values seem to top out around $150 - $160 for NIB/100%, but most are seen in 90 - 95% condition and bring in the $120 - $130 range on the auction site(s).
    Enjoy, it will handle any factory loaded .32 S&W LONG cartridges made today. (.32 H&R Mags are too long to fit in the cylinder, so don't even think about it.)[;)]
    BTW - yours should have the transfer bar ignition/safety system (1973 and after) and is safe to carry with 6 rounds loaded. The earlier model (pre-1973) had a live firing pin and a rebounding hammer, a system which is not quite as safe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Excited and forgot to mention that it is a model 632. Thanks for all the info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also forgot to metion that it does have the transfer bar. It has two types of blue finish -- one is the traditional smooth blue finish on the barrel and trigger; the other, blue on a rough metal finish,i.e., on the frame/handle. I have rubbed oil into the frame/handle, but with the roughness, the oil seems to disappear. Wondering how other folk handle this "rough metal finish." Thanks again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, that changes a things a bit.
    Model 632 (solid frame with pull-pin cylinder release) offered in two models, 1st 1952 - 1972, live firing pin, 2nd 1973 - 1986 transfer bar ignition/safety system.
    The rest of the information is nearly identical to the 732 model, including RETAIL valuations.
    The rough finish (called the oxide finish) on the later models was a cost cutting measure (no final polishing required) - it will "hold" oil and is very rust resistant. No special treatment required, just apply oil now and then and let it sink into the rough texture. Similar to the theory with Parkerizing, which also "holds" the oil next to the metal substrate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the information on this solid little gun. I will copy the info and keep it in a file on this gun. It is a real solid, well-made in USA firearm and I'm proud of it. I found on the internet some Sellier & Bellot 32 S&W Long lead round nose, 100 Grain, 886 fps, 174 ft/lb ammo. This is probably the best out there and I'll be getting a couple boxes of this ammo. Thanks again for all the info. Andy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    37Andy,
    You're welcome. Thanks for thanking.

Look for MagTech 98gr. Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point ammo, also. It's the only one that I know of that is in a SD configuration. Google, it shows up on several on-line vendor sites.