In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

greener 14 gauge shotgun

spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I would really like one but, there's the issue of ammo.
So can you find the ammo or make it shoot something that's available?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    IN A WORD......NO, However they are relativly easy to rebarrel to 12 ga.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course the whole concept was gun control on the Barney Fife model.

If a bent Egyptian grabbed a police gun, he was not going to be able to find 14 gauge shells. When the crooks figured out how to wrap a 16 gauge shell in tape, they went to the 12/14 ga shells with a groove around the primer and "horns" on the firing pin or breechblock. See #5 at
    http://www.martinihenry.com/faq.htm

Which is yours? The straight 14 gauge with regular firing pin or the 12/14 with horns?

I could not find a source of loaded shells but Rocky Mountain makes all brass shells in 14 or 12/14. For about $3 each.
    http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/
  • Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can pick up the brass and a simple hand held loader and just keep reloading the brass shotshells, Your initial investment for 25 shells will not be that high and the handheld black powder reloader is simple to use and cost effective.
    That should be a real nice addition to the collection.

Now if you plan on using it on a dove hunt in Argentina that may be a different issue.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so if i wanted to rebarrel how much would that cost
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "so if i wanted to rebarrel how much would that cost".......that would depend on the gunsmith and the cost of a barrel. I used to buy 'boltless' barreled receivers at gun shows for $10 or less (ref. Sears bolt buy-back). unscrew the barrle, scrap the receiver and rethread for the martini (1.080"x 14 tpi).
    m-1.jpg