In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope base Remington sendero

keystone1974keystone1974 Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I would like an opinion from nononsense and other experienced long range shooters. I do not like the 20 moa nightforce base for my nightforce and sendero 300 win mag. I took off my no-name base cause 0-300 yds it was dead on but shooting at 660 yds it was one click( moa) from being centered. I didn't realize that 20 moa on a base was cant (slope) and not just an equal elevation for large scopes... So I will sell the base and get a level base ( so it's an easy shot with no compensation from 25-200 yds . I was thinking the Trijicon bases look well built with the way the screws go nicely into the counter sunk holes , but I don't have much experience with pic. Rails. Thank you for Your time and thoughts

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    keystone1974,

I'm not quite sure I have the gist of what you're asking but I can add some information to get started.

Have you shot your scope in and established a trajectory chart for each load you shoot? If not, then this is something you need to consider.

Scope bases now come as 0 MOA (zero), 10 MOA, 15 MOA, 20 MOA, 30 MOA and 40 MOA. Each of the above have a decided 'slope' to them, being higher in the rear and lower in the front. This causes the shooter to elevate the rifle to achieve a sight picture. The purpose of this slope in the base is to build in elevation in order to have more of the adjustment for elevation in the scope itself. Without it, many scopes run out of adjustment before getting a zero at greater distances. The scope manufacturers have tried to help by creating larger diameter scope bodies to allow for more adjustment but there is only so much space and there is a limit to what we will accept as reasonable diameters.

As to manufacturers of Picatinny rails, there are now dozens to choose from with a full range of prices for most budgets. I use Badger Ordnance, Nightforce, U.S. Optics, Ken Farrell and a couple of others I can't remember right now. I will use aluminum if necessary but steel is usually the first choice.

Something to consider as an alternative to the Picatinny rail are the Burris rings with the interchangeable inserts which allow changing the 'slope' in the rings instead of the base. There are several increments and variations depending on the insert selected. These are called Posi-Aligned Inserts:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2

If this isn't the direction you want to follow, please add some explanation so we can shift the focus more to your liking.

Best.

ADDED:

tsr1965,

I have always considered most fathers that I've known, to be heroic. My father and grandfathers were all heroes to me. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time to let the idea develop and mature.

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    keystone1974,

Like other's, I am not sure what you are getting at.

I have a 20 MOA Nightforce base on my slightly modified 700 Sendero SF II, in 300 RUM, and have an NXS 5.5-22x56 sitting on it. You are still able to turn the scope's elevation adjustment down(below zero center of the scope) to zero your rifle ar shorter ranges. That is the purpose of a 10, 15, 20, or 40 MOA base...to add enough elevation to get you out to the distance you need...just so happens that the 20 MOA will let you get to zero at short ranges too, but you might be below the center of your scopes adjustment.

Nononsense,

That is a great tribute to our father's for father's day!

Best