In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cerrosafe vs. Slugging

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Can Cerrosafe be used to check bore diameter instead of slugging a barrel, if you take about a 2 inch sample from the muzzle end? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience it's way easier to drive a slightly oversize, "soft" lead ball through the bore, then using Cerrosafe. But if that is what you want to do, have at it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Coming up with only one oversize ball or slug without having to buy a whole box is my only concern. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on bore size. In the 30's, use a single pellet of buckshot. In the 40s, mooch a ball or two from a muzzleloading friend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I'll see what I've got laying around the stash and come up with something.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Cerrosafe springs back a little and shrinks. It might not give a true reading. It will be close though.

I've done it mainly with chambers, but it could be done with a bore, I guess. Even then, I found when about 1/4" ran into the bore it was hard to tap out.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is Cerrosafe?

I've heard egg sinkers work too.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Cerrosafe is a bar of very low melting point metal thats used to duplicate a chamber by melting it and pouring it into a chamber. It needs to be removed before it tightens up in the chamber...
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when casting chambers with cerosafe I find that if a little gets into the rifleing it's a * to drive out.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trick when using Cerrosafe is to let it cool for 20 minutues. After it cools it tends to shrink very minutely. Taping on the end of the cleaning rod that's sticking out of the barrel should pop it out with no problems. If the chamber/throat area is rough/pitted/eroded you might run into problems though.