In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Choate stocks. Need some advice

00buck00buck Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
So about a month ago i made my first 1100 yard shot and now i am hooked so I want to start a build nothing to fancy. The gun i shot had a choate stock on it and it fit very well. I am looking at the choate stocks and can not decide between the tatical, ultimate sniper, and the ultimate varmint stocks. I know they are heavy but they fit in the budget. What are the differences between them and what are the weight of each one? It will be going on a rem 700. What experience has anyone had with them?

Comments

• Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of this information you can get from Choate by simply contacting them and speaking to a technician.

Anyway, you did not ask for comments regarding experience, but I have Choate stocks on three long guns and I am very pleased with them. I think they are high quality professional-grade products and fit the guns I have them on perfectly. They offer the right feel and function and Choate stands behing their stuff. I have them on a Remington 870 police shotgun (with Choate's magazine extension), a Ruger 10/22 (folding stock model) and a plain (not a monte carlo style) sporter style with handguard for my Chinese SKS carbine.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    00buck,

"I am looking at the choate stocks and can not decide between the tatical, ultimate sniper, and the ultimate varmint stocks."

The base tactical weighs 3lbs. 12oz, according to their website. The other two are slightly heavier if I remember correctly, somewhere between 4 and 4-1/2 lbs.

Not long after these first hit the market, I was asked by a couple of local sheriffs to bed their rifles in the new Choate sniper stock. One was a Winchester Model 70 and the other was a Remington M700. Both were shot for accuracy before the exchange of stocks then after as a proof of any improvement of lack thereof. Both rifles shot better than the original configuration, with the Winchester showing consistent 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Please note that I stated 'bed' their rifles in the Choate stocks. None of the commercial v-block bedding systems work without a skim bedding at least. The only exceptions to this are the Manners Mini-Chassis system and the XLR chassis. All others need to be improved with bedding compound.

There is nothing wrong with the Choate Varmint, Sniper or Tactical stocks. A few extremely vocal folks took to the Web early on and castigated these stocks because they weren't McMillan's and they were a little heavy. After that, most of the shooters who wanted to afford the Choate stocks bought them and just didn't say anything to anyone. The owners of Choate stocks are still looked down on even though it's many years later. Unfortunate, in my opinion.

No, they aren't hand laid fiberglass like a McMillan nor are they laid up carbon fiber but they are a decent stock at affordable prices for the most part. The only exception I would make is for the 'Custom' variations as these features are minimum quality and higher quality parts can be had on better stocks for about the same amount of money.

Buy one, bed your barreled action, buy a great scope and gets lots of practice. Then go beat some of the naysayers...

Best.