In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin glenfield 60 no serial #?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
got a very early marlin glenfield model 60 which has not been ground and does not have serial # on it? does anyone know if any because of age, didnt have a serial number. i would think that they all did have a number. its got a DL stamped on the right hand side of the barrel if that helps. thanks alot.

Comments

• Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prior to 1968 no serial numbers were required.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Totally legal unless it was manufactured after 1968. But, without a SN, who could prove it was recently manufactured? So, you're off the hook. Enjoy shooting it. They are great little rifles. [:)]
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From 1960-1968, these were made under the Glenfield name, and did not have serial numbers. Frankly it costs money to stamp serial numbers, and lower cost rifles and shotguns were not serialized until required by the 1968 GCA.

Perfectly legal to OWN a gun that never wore a serial number- I have one safe full of Mossberg 22 rifles from the 40s and 50s that are in my books as NSN- no serial number.

However, REMOVING a serial number is a big no-no, Federal felony.
  • Options
    MMMarvisMMMarvis Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its funny what does and doesn't have a serial number.

I have a Marlin glenfield 10, I got in 67 I think, It was for xmas I just turned 11 found out my Father bought me the 11.00 beauty and spent my hard earned cash for a 4.00 scope. It has a 69 million serial number? Could it have been in 68? Who knows when they actually started with numbers on cheaper guns.
    But 69m seems high for 68?
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Up to 1968 the serial numbers were optional. Some manufacturers used them, some didn't. Also, when a manufacturer does use them, they are not restricted on what number to start with. So, a 68M number doesn't "necessarily" mean it was the 68 millionth made. [:)] That sure would be a lot of rifles. [:D]