In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady light magnum in 6.5x55

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for informed opinions.

I have a box that was given to me. I'm wondering if y'all think it's safe to shoot them in my 1906 Swede Mauser.

If not, there will be a giveaway in the GD forum. Please do not let this news influence your answer.[:o)]

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have no idea on what condition your rifle is in, i.e. bolt matching, headspace OK, etc. Do a GOOGLE search on it, see if you can get some guidance from Hornady on using it in a original Swede 97?

No offense, but asking folks on the net these kind of questions are an exercise in futility. We have no personal experience with your rifle, re condition, headspace, sporterization, let alone it's 105 years old etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    We have no idea on what condition your rifle is in, i.e. bolt matching, headspace OK, etc. Do a GOOGLE search on it, see if you can get some guidance from Hornady on using it in a original Swede 96?
    No offense, but asking folks on the net these kind of questions are an exercise in futility. We have no personal experience with your rifle, re condition, headspace, sporterization, let alone it's 105 years old etc.

Embarassingly enough, this did not cross my mind.[:I]

FWIW. It is in original configuration and the headspace has been check by a reputable gunsmith.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,973 ******
    edited November -1
    YOUR HORNADY AMMO IS MADE TO SAMMI SPEC'S, SAFE IN ANY RIFLE IN GOOD COND. ORIGINALY CHAMBERED IN THE CAL.

P.S. I'M IN FOR THE GIVE-A-WAY[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After further research, I believe I will pass on firing these in my old Swede.

I prefer NOT to chance blowing it up and/or hurting myself. I'm kinda funny that way.

So, if anyone wants in on the giveaway, come sign up in GD.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send them to Mike, then.

Hornady would not have sold them if they were not within SAAMI specifications, which are already conservative to protect not only Swedish Mausers but probably Norwegian Krags, even though there are few of those around in the USA. The difference is in the high density loading of very progressive powder, which an old style infantry rifle's long barrel should really make sing.