In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trigger Job on a S&W 34

hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Would like to get the DA trigger pull alittle lighter for my wife.Can this be done without causing misfires since it is a rimfire?

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes but will require a qualified pistolsmith.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Back in the day" we'd get a set of Wolfe springs and a little jewelers rouge which we'd reduce to fine powder and desolve in WD-40.
    A drop of the "red sauce" would go on each pivot point and contact surface and then we'd put Lonesome Dove on the VCR and dry fire away for a few hours. Then we'd flush all the rouge out and add our favorite lube. (which definitely wasn't wd40)
    Don't think we ever did any damage and the double action smiths seemed to be smoother and lighter after it was all over.
    Anyone else tried that? Or was it just a crazy scheme we came up with?
    The Wolfe springs I swear by. The rouge I haven't tried in years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    "Back in the day" we'd get a set of Wolfe springs and a little jewelers rouge which we'd reduce to fine powder and desolve in WD-40.
    A drop of the "red sauce" would go on each pivot point and contact surface and then we'd put Lonesome Dove on the VCR and dry fire away for a few hours. Then we'd flush all the rouge out and add our favorite lube. (which definitely wasn't wd40)
    Don't think we ever did any damage and the double action smiths seemed to be smoother and lighter after it was all over.
    Anyone else tried that? Or was it just a crazy scheme we came up with?
    The Wolfe springs I swear by. The rouge I haven't tried in years.

I've changed springs before and never had any problems.Never tried the rouge before, but I think I'll let some one qualified to do this one.Never have worked on a rimfire,bought it for my wife to train with.Agree on the Wolfe springs.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes you can but it will never be as nice as a K frame due to the size and geometry of the parts. best to take it to someone who has experience with smith's. if you can't find someone locally contact me direct and I will try to help
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not just the geometry.
    A rimfire will take a harder blow to ignite than a centerfire; so you cannot go down in mainspring strength as much as you could in a .32 or .38. No reason not to buy a selection and see what can be done by trial and error. Also use good ammo; CCI MiniMags seem to be the most reliable among "popularly priced" brands.

quote:A rimfire will take a harder blow to ignite than a centerfire

It may sound odd but Wolff lists an 8.5 lb mainspring for a J frame centerfire and 12 lb for a .22 or .22 WRM.
    Skeeter Skelton said that was why he preferred a K38 to a K22 for DA shooting, he could spring the .38 lighter.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for spring kit and a good pistolsmith. My sister has weak fingers and had her Lady Smith worked over. My M60 (self done)is just as nice even with a washer shim in main spring to allow using small rifle primers. Yea I had way too SR, but not any more.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A rimfire will take a harder blow to ignite than a centerfire;

You learn something every day. Didn't know that. Seems strange, what with .22 brass being so much thinner than primer cups.

In my book you can't get any more authoratative than S.S. and Wolfe.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    (Still seems odd, but I believe! [:D][:D])
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    A rimfire will take a harder blow to ignite than a centerfire;

You learn something every day. Didn't know that. Seems strange.

Think about crushing the rim of them to set off the priming compound, rather than denting the cup against the anvil of a primer [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51
    Would like to get the DA trigger pull alittle lighter for my wife.Can this be done without causing misfires since it is a rimfire?

Thanks all for the help!Sp 45 will keep that in mind.Hawk Carse its definitley a 12lb trigger wasn't thinking about the wife not being able to pull it DA and keep it on target.