In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert, serial number lookup 1885 Win

mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi Bert, i finally bought a 1885 High Wall with the serial number 41155 or 47755, can't tell 100%. It's a 40-82, can you tell me the original configurations of those two serial numbers?

Thank you,
Gary

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It definitely is not serial number "47755" as that was a low-wall in 22 Short. Serial number 41155 was a high-wall in 38-55.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Bert! I'll be sending the rifle back, as i looked closer at it, the lower serial # tang looks to have been welded to the receiver tang. It also looks to have been cold blued at some time, a phillips head screw on the lower tang, also, the end of the barrel seems to have been machined to a shiny bare metal surface. The only thing that this rifle has going for it, is the condition of the bore, 8/9 out of a 10!
    Thanks again,
    Gary
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good morning Bert,
    One more question, what is the more desirable calibers to own in the '85 High Wall?
    Thank you,
    Gary
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gary,

The most desirable are any of the .50 caliber cartridges, most preferably the 50-95 W.C.F. or 50-110 Express. After those, the 405 W.C.F. and any of the Express cartridges (e.g. 38-90, 40-110, or 45-125), followed by all of the various .40 or .45 caliber Sharps cartridges, and then any of the .45 caliber cartridges (45-70 & 45-90). Essentially, any of the "large bore" cartridges are desirable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert, i'll keep an eye out for one!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    Thanks Bert, i'll keep an eye out for one!

You will need to keep your wallet well stoked also[:0]